Here in this LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System Review, we share the experiences of our clients who use the device.
Someone dealing with type 2 diabetes understands the importance of monitoring their blood sugar and ketone levels. Having high blood sugar can bring on some serious problems like nerve damage, kidney failure, and heart disease. And if your ketone levels are high, it could mean you’re dealing with a dangerous condition called diabetic ketoacidosis that needs immediate attention.
But how do you measure your blood glucose and ketone levels at home? You need a reliable device that can give you accurate and easy-to-read results. Presenting the LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System, a smart meter that can measure both blood glucose and ketone levels with a single drop of blood.
In this article, we are going to take a look at the features, specifications, pros and cons of LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System, and how it can help you manage your diabetes better.
Let’s start by identifying the device…
The LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System performs a double duty by checking both blood glucose and ketone levels with a single test strip. It’s perfect for folks with type 2 diabetes who are keeping an eye on their blood sugar and ketones, particularly those on a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
It can be linked to your phone via Bluetooth, allowing you to transfer your data to the LifeSmart app. With the app, you can monitor your progress, schedule reminders, see patterns, and share information with your doctor or family. Plus, the device has a big LCD screen that showcases your results using color-coded zones for easy understanding.
It ships with a lancing device, 10 lancets, 10 blood glucose and ketone test strips, a control solution, a carrying case, and a user manual. You can also purchase additional test strips and lancets separately.
The LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System has the following specifications:
|Blood Glucose: 10 – 700 mg/dL (0.56 – 38.89 mmol/L)
|Ketone: 0.1 – 8.0 mmol/L (1.04 – 83.2 mg/dL)
|1.0 μL for both glucose and ketone strip
|5 seconds for blood glucose
|10 seconds for ketone
|About 1,000 tests or 1 year
|2 x AAA
|97 x 62.2 x 28.9 mm
|67.5 g (without battery)
The LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System utilizes electrochemical biosensors to analyze the levels of glucose and ketones in a blood sample. It employs a single test strip for both measurements, requiring users to choose the specific mode (glucose or ketone) before inserting the strip into the device.
To use the device, you need to follow these steps:
- Make sure to give your hands a good wash and dry them completely.
- Insert a new lancet into the lancing device and adjust the depth setting according to your skin type.
- Insert a new test strip into the device and select the mode (glucose or ketone).
- Use the lancing device to prick your finger and squeeze out a drop of blood.
- Apply the blood drop to the tip of the test strip and wait for the device to beep.
- Read your result on the screen and compare it with the color-coded zones.
- Dispose of the used lancet and test strip safely.
You can also use the control solution to make sure the device and test strips are working correctly. The control solution has a known amount of glucose and ketone, so you can test the device just like you would with your blood sample.
The device will display the control result and compare it with the expected range. If the result is within the range, the device and the test strips are working properly. On the other hand, if the result is out of the range, you may need to replace the device or the test strips.
The LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System has several advantages, such as:
- It can measure both blood glucose and ketone levels with a single device and a single test strip, saving you time and money.
- Has a large LCD screen that displays your results in color-coded zones, making it easy to interpret your readings and take action accordingly.
- Comes with Bluetooth compatability, which means you can connect it to your smartphone and sync your data with the LifeSmart app. Allowing you to track your results via your mobile.
- It has a memory capacity of 1,000 sets, which means you can review your past readings and see how your levels change over long periods of time.
- A long battery life of about 1,000 tests or 1 year, which means you don’t have to worry about replacing the battery frequently.
- Easy to use and comes with a user manual that explains how to operate the device and interpret the results. You can also download the manual online.
The LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System also has some drawbacks, such as:
- Relatively expensive compared to other devices that measure only blood glucose or only ketone levels.
The device itself costs about $150, and the test strips cost around $1.5 each. You may need to use several test strips per day, depending on your condition and your diet.
- Requires a larger sample size for ketone measurement than for glucose measurement, which means you may need to prick your finger more deeply and squeeze out more blood. This can be painful and inconvenient for some people.
- It might not be compatible with all smartphones and operating systems, which means you may not be able to use the Bluetooth feature and the LifeSmart app.
- May or may not be available in all countries and regions, which means you may have difficulty finding the device or the test strips in your local market. You should check the availability of the product before purchasing it.
Comparison With Other Monitoring Systems
|Features and Functionality
|LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone System
|– Measures both blood glucose and ketone levels with the same strip
|– Bluetooth connectivity for syncing with the LifeSmart app
|– Relatively expensive – Requires a larger sample size for ketone measurement – May not be available or compatible in all markets
|Keto Mojo GK+ Ketone Blood Meter Kit
|– Measures both blood glucose and ketone levels with different test strips
|– Bluetooth connection for smartphone tracking – FDA-approved for accuracy
|– Individually packaged and challenging to open strips
|Precision Xtra Blood Glucose and Ketone Monitor
|– Reliable for measuring blood glucose and ketone levels
|– Fast results in 5-10 seconds – Intuitive and easy to use
|– Not Bluetooth enabled – Expensive test strips may not be covered by insurance
|– Measures blood glucose without finger pricking, using a small sensor on the upper arm
|– Continuous monitoring with data sent to a reader or smartphone – Convenient and painless
|– May not be as accurate as traditional blood glucose meters – Sensor replacement every 14 days (expensive)
|– Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) measuring glucose levels every 5 minutes
|– Most accurate CGM available – No fingerstick calibration required
|– Expensive and may not be covered by insurance – Cannot measure blood ketone levels
|– CGM with a sensor implanted under the skin for up to 90 days
|– Longest lasting CGM sensor – Can be recharged without removal
|– Expensive and may not be covered by insurance – Cannot measure blood ketone levels
|Guardian Connect System
|– CGM measuring glucose levels every 5 minutes
|– Predicts glucose levels up to 60 minutes in advance – Provides personalized insights and tips – Data sharing with doctor or family
|– Requires twice-daily fingerstick calibration – May not be as accurate as other CGMs – Cannot measure blood ketone levels
Other alternatives are:
- One Drop Glucose Meter
- Dario Glucose Meter
- On Call Glucometers
- Livongo Glucometer
- iPhone-compatible Glucometers
Consult your doctor before choosing any device. Follow their advice on adjusting medication, diet, and lifestyle based on results.
In short, the LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System is a top-notch product that provides precise readings for both blood glucose and B-ketone levels, making it a dependable and effective choice.
It has several features that make it convenient and easy to use, such as a large LCD screen, a Bluetooth connection, a memory capacity, and a long battery life. But here’s the little catch—it’s on the pricier side, needs a bigger sample for measuring ketones, and might not work with your Android or iOS device or be sold in every market.
Despite some room for improvement, such as the initial cost, the positive reviews and overall rating of 4/5 make it a recommended choice for individuals and their caregivers.
If you need something to help you keep your diabetes in check, the LifeSmart Blood Glucose Plus B-Ketone Monitoring System could be just what you’re looking for. But it’s important to chat with your doctor first and make sure you’re following their recommendations on how to handle your meds, diet, and lifestyle based on the readings.