This guide will look into the relationship between keto coffee and diabetes. For example, is keto coffee good for people with diabetes? Is it safe for people with diabetes to drink keto coffee? Where keto coffee stand compared to regular coffee? Then, what are the best keto coffee products for people with diabetes? You will find answers to all these questions and more in this guide and review piece.
Read on for more…
If you are with diabetes, the insulin your pancreas produces is either not working properly or absent. This disrupts the body’s ability to use carbohydrates properly. Consequently, sugar becomes high in the blood.
Consuming a high carb meal is likely to lead to a spike or increase in blood sugar. Diet is, therefore, an important aspect of the life of anyone with diabetes, no matter the type.
If you are on a weight loss regime and still want to enjoy your regular early morning creamy coffee goodness without compromising on your low-carb diet, then you have to try Keto coffee.
Ketosis forces our body to metabolize fat for energy through the keto diet. The process goes ahead to produce ketones – a fuel source for your body and brain.
What is Keto Coffee?
Keto coffee, also known as Bulletproof coffee and Butter coffee, is a combination of coffee and fats. A delicious cup of keto coffee allows you to enjoy increased mental focus and energy while getting rid of hunger.
Keto coffee contains –
The caffeine inside coffee stimulates our brains’ ability to concentrate
- Medium Chain triglycerides (MCT oil)
MCT oil encourages fat burning while providing adequate energy
- Grass-fed butter
It supplies essential omega 3’s
Coconut oil contains MCT oil which easily breakdown into ketones. These ketones are ‘amazing’. They fill in the gap in the absence of glucose or carbs as you know it, with extra bonus benefits.
Ketones supply energy to our brains and body and further quench cravings, and support weight loss by burning fat.
Grass-fed butter provides extra fat to suppress cravings. Omega-3-fats protect brain health and reduce inflammation. It finally adds enough body and creamy goodness to your cup of coffee.
The ingredients used to make Keto coffee include –
- coconut oil or MCT oil, and
- milk frother.
Keto Coffee Journey
From the onset, keto coffee was as simple as stirring a spoonful of coconut oil into a cup of coffee. But as years passed by, it was improved with the trendy Bulletproof coffee recipe.
The founder of Bulletproof.com, Dave Asprey, is credited for developing the bulletproof coffee recipe, which combines pure MCT oil and grass-fed butter with coffee. They are then blended together to create a pleasant latte-like coffee with a foamy top.
Keto Coffee vs Regular Coffee
There are major differences between your regular coffee and keto coffee, starting with the ingredients, their carb and fat contents.
The regular coffee may be served black, with sugar or a bit of cream added to it.
In comparison, the standard keto coffee will include coffee beans, 1-2 tablespoons of MCT oil and at least 2 tablespoons of grass-fed butter (unsalted).
- Carb/Sugar contents
Keto coffee contains no sugar but still lets you enjoy a hot cup of creamy latte-like coffee.
Zero-sugar coffee creamers may solve the issue for regular coffee, although most times, the “zero” sugar isn’t necessarily zero carbs.
- Fat contents
Keto coffee boasts weight-loss regulation and cholesterol reduction through ketosis, although opinions differ on this matter. Others find keto coffee to contain excessive fats, saturated fats (from coconut oil and MCT oil), and calories (adding up to about 200-500 calories daily).
Although it may be creamy and low in carbs, it is high in fat and calories – which may contribute to weight gain. In this case (if you are overweight or prone to it), you’re better off taking a regular black coffee or cappuccino, unsweetened latte and the likes.
Effects Of Keto Coffee On Your Health
Ketogenic coffee has a number of health benefits, which are great for you, but it is not without some side effects.
Positive Effects and Benefits of Ketogenic Coffee
- Supports Weight loss
The keto diet mainly works to provide low carbohydrate, high fat and moderate protein, all in support of weight loss. Keto coffee provides the same effect.
Breaking your early morning fast with more fats in your coffee means you get increased energy even with limits on food intake.
- Supports a healthy stomach
Keto coffee provides enough calories and fat, so much so that when you take it on an empty stomach, you won’t feel hungry. Moreover, it can provide enough energy your body would need to be efficient throughout the day.
- Contributes to the brain’s cognitive function
Keto coffee is a part of a ketogenic diet that mainly fuels the brain, with ketones providing about 70% of the energy your brain needs.
- Aids in the management of Epilepsy
Did you know that the keto diet was originally introduced in the 1920s as a treatment for Epilepsy? The high fat, low carb diet helps control spasms. Due to the other positive effects of the keto diet, it was usually recommended for children who failed to respond to medication.
You can consider swapping to the keto diet starting with keto coffee to help you manage Epilepsy, but not without consulting your doctor first.
- Help to lose weight
You don’t have to go ketogenic to reap its benefits completely, keto coffee is enough to help you lose weight and stay focused.
Negative Effects of Keto Coffee
- Low in nutrition
Keto coffee is supposed to a meal replacement for breakfast or lunch. Although it is high in fat, provides plenty of energy and satiates hunger, it lacks nutrients.
- May increase cholesterol levels
Many research conducted on keto coffee agrees that it raises good cholesterol (HDL), reduces triglycerides and weight.
Butter, on the other hand, unlike MCT and coconut oil, raises LDL (bad cholesterol). Therefore, those with cholesterol issues should avoid having so much butter in their keto coffee. There are keto coffee products with less or zero butter which are great options to consider.
- High in saturated fats
Most keto coffees are high in saturated fat. A high intake of saturated fat often contributes to serious health conditions, and should be avoided.
Remember, it is not possible to remain on the keto diet forever. You can only keep it up for 3 to 6 months max. There hasn’t been any extensive research that supports sticking to the diet on a long term basis. Although, some people cycle in and out of it through the year.
When Should Diabetics Consider Keto Coffee?
People with diabetes often have to face a lot of issues that affect their blood glucose levels and overall health. Keto coffee may be able to help ease some of those issues, such as what I have mentioned below.
- Weight loss
Low carb, high fat ketogenic coffee helps with weight loss and diet, especially for people who developed type 2 diabetes and prediabetes due to excess weight.
You may not want to completely go keto to avoid diabetes complications, especially for type 1 diabetes, but keto coffee could be a lifesaver in your weight loss battle.
Introducing keto coffee to your weight loss plan not only helps you lose weight, but also controls your cravings, fills your stomach and still provides enough energy for your body.
- Glycemic control
For diabetics, a regular weight loss diet and exercise provides enough energy for your body, supports general well-being, and, more importantly, glycemic levels.
Introducing keto coffee into your regimen reduces your blood sugar levels, and maintains it at a healthy level.
Research shows that people with diabetes who follow a ketogenic diet have improved blood glucose level management and also in weight loss.
There are other effects of keto coffee on diabetics (type 2 diabetes) that are beneficial, such as
- Improved insulin sensitivity
- Improved good cholesterol (HDL)
- Drop-in insulin
- Lower blood pressure
When Is Keto Coffee Not Safe For Diabetics?
Keto Coffee may help reduce blood glucose levels, but when it is taken alongside an insulin regimen, it may reduce the blood sugar to dangerously low levels (or hypoglycemia).
Low blood sugar is a condition that occurs when the blood sugar levels fall to 70 mg/dL or less. It is important you consult with your doctor about your diet changes, especially when you are on medication.
Best Keto Coffee for Diabetics
1. Bulletproof Keto Coffee Review
The Bulletproof Keto Coffee Kit contains 3-4 products –
– Bulletproof Coffee Original,
– Bulletproof Grass-fed Ghee,
– Bulletproof Unflavored Collagen Protein and Bulletproof Octane 8 MCT oil.
Each of these individual products is used to create the bulletproof keto coffee blend. You just have to mix it the way you love it.
Starter kit ingredients
- Original Medium Roast Coffee (with hints of orange, cinnamon, plum and cocoa hazelnut finish)
- Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil
- Grass-fed Ghee
- Unflavored Collagen Protein
- The Brain Octane C8 MCT oil produces up to 4 times the ketone energy of coconut oil, supports immune function and healthy digestion.
- When grass-fed butter is over open flames, it eliminates milk solids (including casein and lactose) and moisture. The by-product is ghee rich in beta-carotene, omega-3 CLA and vitamins.
- The unflavoured collagen protein made with premium grass-fed collagen peptides, supports stronger hair, skin and joint.
- The separate products that make the keto coffee kit allow you to gain more control by mixing your own blend.
- It contains saturated fats and may increase bad cholesterol
- Bulletproof keto coffee doesn’t come in a single pack; you will have to buy the individual ingredients as products that are a little bit expensive and worth the price.
2. It Works Keto Coffee Review
This simple, instant coffee can easily fit into your diet, anywhere and on the go.
Just mix it into 8 oz of cold or hot water and enjoy its buttery taste along with the benefits that come with it.
It Works Keto Coffee is Non-GMO, keto-friendly, soy-free and has no artificial flavors.
- Green coffee bean
- Grass-fed butter
- Collagen peptides
It is a protein which when converted to amino acids, the building and restoration of essential proteins and lean muscles in our body.
- It is an easy to prepare on-the-go instant coffee. You only need to mix with water instead of waiting for the coffee to brew.
- The collagen in the coffee helps keep your hair and nails strong.
- You can easily auto-ship as many as 60 packets at a go.
- The flavour tastes as good as the latte itself. Adding the It Works chocolate greens gives it a mocha flavour.
- The buttery taste isn’t really nice, although some people prefer it.
- The auto-ship has its advantage, but not everyone likes it.
- It easily mixes into hot water even without a stirring stick, but doesn’t mix well in cold water except with a stirring stick.
3. SlimFast Keto Creamy Coffee Cappuccino Shake Mix Review
The Slim-Fast keto creamy coffee cappuccino shake mix is an awesome blend in powder form. Packed in a resealable canister, this protein-filled ketogenic powder is enough to curb hunger and leave you feeling energized.
It is free from artificial sweeteners, gluten, artificial flavors and colours.
A single pack contains up to 10 servings of SlimFast keto meal replacement shake.
- French Roast Coffee
- Protein blend (Whey and Grass-fed/Collagen Peptides)
- MCTs (Coconut, Palm and Grass-fed butter)
- Vitamins, Milk and Soy
- It contains as much caffeine as your regular cup of coffee, leaving you energized throughout the day.
- The creamy coffee shakes are used as a meal replacement, which may contain a little sugar and other ingredients. It is not just a snack for your keto diet, but enough to satisfy your hunger during breakfast or lunch.
- It contains dextrose, which isn’t completely keto, although it is in very little amounts.
- The product only comes in a single size which lasts for 7 days, having to buy 3 of it a month is not pleasant.
- It is not completely sugar-free, but the 1-5 g of sugar is too small to knock you out of ketosis. As a person with diabetes, you’d have to be a little cautious.
4. Rapid Fire Keto Coffee Review
The Rapid Fire Keto Coffee original blend is an instant coffee mix that tastes like it was freshly brewed coffee, whether hot or iced.
This slow-roasted keto coffee is packaged in resealable canisters or single pods, making it more convenient while preserving its flavour and freshness.
It is gluten-free, soy-free and made with organic ground coffee.
- Organic ground coffee
- Coconut oil
- Grass-fed butter
- Himalayan salt
- Rapid Fire keto coffee is an instant coffee that saves you from waiting for a barista to brew your coffee.
- It is packaged in a resealable canister for preserving the freshness and taste of the coffee.
- The Himalayan salt provides antioxidant effects in addition to the many benefits of keto coffee.
- The organic ground coffee used to make the blend was slow-brewed, which is loved by many.
- It doesn’t mix well in the canister pack.
- The keto coffee can be quite thick and hard to swallow, especially towards the bottom of the cup.
5. Giant Sports (Unsweetened) Keto Coffee Review
The Giant keto coffee is an all-natural sugar-free coffee product.
A single serving contains 180 mg of caffeine and 6 g of MCTs, providing you with long-lasting focus, energy and metabolic boost.
It is Lacto-Vegetarian, Paleo and Keto friendly.
Giants Sports keto coffee is 100% non-GMO and contains no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colours or artificial ingredients.
- Robusto Brazilian gourmet coffee beans
- Added organic caffeine
- Premium MCT oil powder
- Natural cream flavour
- Easy to fix instant coffee. Simply mix into a cup of hot or cold water and stir.
- The coffee beans are specially sourced from fair trade, conflict-free zones. While the MCTs comes exclusively from renewable and eco-friendly sources.
- Although it is sugar-free, there are 1.5 g of total carbs, of which 1 g is fibre.
- It doesn’t contain butter and may not provide enough fat, but it keeps you away from saturated fat.
6. VitaCup Genius Coffee Review
The VitaCup Coffee is a rich vitamin-infused coffee blend with great taste. The Genius blend offers a blend of the finest Brazilian and Mexican coffee beans with vitamins, turmeric and a distinct cinnamon flavour.
It still tastes like unadulterated coffee, even with the vitamins added to it. VitaCup Genius Blend is keto-friendly, BPA-free and recyclable.
- A blend of Brazilian and Mexican coffee beans
- Cinnamon and Tumeric (loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties)
- Vitamins (Vit D, B1, B5, B6, B9, B-12 and antioxidants)
- It contains vitamins, cinnamon and turmeric for extra nutrition. And they do not affect the taste of the drink.
- It does not contain butter, which is a source of cholesterol and saturated fat
- Although it is keto-friendly, it doesn’t contain butter and may not provide enough fat.
Keto coffee is great for weight loss, and very beneficial to individuals with diabetes or prediabetes struggling with excess weight and obesity. It can curb hunger and provide enough energy and brainpower, which makes it a perfect meal replacement once or twice a day. But this cannot be sustained on a long term basis to avoid malnutrition.
Furthermore, keto coffee helps in blood glucose regulation. Research shows that following a ketogenic diet reduces weight and lowers blood glucose, which may reduce the need for medication.
Keto coffee is a win-win for people with diabetes. Remember to seek your doctor’s advice before making any dietary change as a diabetic, though.
There is a wide range of choices to choose from when it comes to keto coffee. The best options would be selecting products with high fat, low or zero carbs, zero sugar, and whole ingredients. Products that contain so many ingredients are likely more processed and less healthy.
You can also opt to brew and prepare your keto coffee if you feel the need to have control. Many of the keto coffee products we have reviewed have coffee beans, MCT oil, grass-fed butter and others, all as separate products which you can use to brew your unique blend the way you like it.