Have you ever asked yourself what the Best Glucose Monitors that Work with iPhone are? In this comprehensive review, we will delve into the 17 top iPhone-compatible glucose monitors available in the market. With advancements in health technology, monitoring your blood sugar levels has become more convenient and accurate than ever before.
In recent times, there are several choices for individuals with diabetes when it concerns blood sugar monitoring. Compared to the last decade, glucose meters are now very easy to use, convenient, smart, and even more accurate.
There are many glucose meters that are wireless with Bluetooth capabilities which allow users to sync important data to their smartphones, such as iPhones, Apps, and websites.
Our Methodology In This Expert’s Review
As seasoned health experts with extensive knowledge in diabetes management and cutting-edge health technologies, we’ve meticulously researched and compiled a list of glucose monitors that align with your iPhone for optimal convenience and accurate tracking. Drawing from our background in health, we’ve evaluated these monitors to provide you with the most reliable and up-to-date information.
This review is also a result of dedicated research and effort to ensure that you receive the most comprehensive and insightful information about iPhone-compatible glucose monitors. Our commitment to quality content stems from a passion for empowering individuals with diabetes to make informed decisions about their health.
While many reviews offer generic information, this review stands out with its depth of analysis and unique insights into each glucose monitor’s features and benefits. Each monitor has been evaluated based on its compatibility with iPhones, accuracy, ease of use, and additional features that enhance diabetes management.
The information provided here is based on accurate and verified sources, ensuring that you receive reliable insights. Additionally, we’ve incorporated our first-hand experience with these glucose monitors to provide you with practical insights into their performance and usability.
Having extensively explored and tested these glucose monitors, we’ve gained invaluable in-the-field experience that informs my assessment. This perspective ensures that the information provided is not just theoretical but practical and applicable to real-life scenarios.
Understanding the challenges individuals with diabetes face, we’ve tailored this review to address your needs. By considering factors such as cost, ease of use, and unique features, this review offers a perspective that is not only informative but also useful in guiding your decision-making process.
Before exploring the best glucometers compatible with the iPhone, let’s define what iPhone Glucose Meters really are.
What Is An iPhone Glucose Meter?
Apple Inc. now sells glucose monitors that can integrate with iPhones to provide people living with diabetes a better and easier way to monitor their blood glucose.
People living with such conditions can now check, control, and share the results of their blood sugar conveniently on their iPhones.
The most recent available iPhone glucose meter uses Bluetooth technology to send the results of blood sugar to these devices wirelessly using a mobile app.
Users are also able to view their major information just at a glance, which includes color-coded bar graphs displaying results percentage, an average of 14 days blood glucose readings, and below and above the user’s personalized target range.
Also, users can access automatic electronic logbook that displays test reading over a period of two weeks. And, even other features that enable users to enter and see information about physical activities, carbohydrate consumed and medication.
And with the data sharing feature of the mobile app, users can share major information with their caregivers, healthcare professionals, or their family members through email or text messages.
But, is that all iPhone glucometers offer? Not at all!
Here the list of other features which make the difference.
General Features Of iPhone Glucose Meters And Mobile Apps That Helps In Everyday Diabetes Management
- Blood glucose average summary
Colored bar graphs that display or feature the percentage of the result, below and above the user’s personalized target range of the blood glucose.
For example, 2 weeks (14 days) of the blood sugar average result. This summary screen also shows more information about every blood sugar reading. It also displays the activities of the current day, such as test results, activities, carbs, meal tags, and medication data.
- Electronic logbook
The readings of blood sugar are organized automatically in an electronic logbook to show whether they are in range, below, or above range.
- Low and high sugar pattern alert
iPhone glucose meter mobile Apps alert the user when the blood glucose reading develops a pattern above the upper limit or below the low limit that was personalized in the App. It enables users to easily spot patterns.
- Data sharing features
An iPhone glucose meter enables users to share major information about the readings of their blood sugar with their caregivers, healthcare professionals, or their family members through emails or text messages.
The mobile app of the glucose meters is compatible with every latest iPhone, iPad, iPod touch models, and some even with several other Android phones.
- Eco-friendly rechargeable battery
Their batteries can last up to 2 weeks when fully charged with a mini USB cable or AC adopter.
These glucose meters store up to 500 readings and show the latest reading.
They also display readings from the last two weeks (14 days) when they are synced to the mobile App. Other readings stored in the memory of the meter can be accessed in a computer using a Diabetes Management Software (DMS).
What To Look Out For When Choosing An iPhone Glucose Meter?
When making a choice for the best glucose meter, it is crucial to fully understand how they work.
Here are some factors to watch out for when considering a blood glucose meter.
There are so many glucose meters on the market, and their prices vary as well. But it is important to consider the cost and also the availability of the test strips.
- Availability of the test strips
- Insurance coverage
It is also necessary to check the coverage details with the insurance provider.
Some of the insurance providers restrict the total test strip number allowed.
- Easy use and maintenance
Some blood glucose meters are easier to use others. Also, there are some that are more ‘cost-effective’ than others.
Check if the numbers on the screen are bold enough for you to see clearly.
- A clear screen (clear enough to you!)
- Quantity of blood required
Again, check the quantity of blood that is required.
- Special features
Some glucose meters come with some added features. So before buying any glucose meter, make sure its features meet your particular need.
These added features may include; easy to handle test strips and buttons, illumination and larger screens, and voice-over which may be beneficial to individuals with poor vision.
- Easy to store and retrieve information
Check out the capacity of the meter in storing and retrieving information. Some meters can track the date and time of a test, it’s reading, and duration over time. Still, others have the ability to share the readings with your caregiver, doctor, or family member with an App. Some also allow the user to download the readings of his or her blood glucose to a smartphone or computer, then through email.
Many manufacturers of blood glucose meters add a toll-free helpline number to enable their customers to get through to them.
Make sure you check out for meters with clear instructions that show the proper way to operate the meter.
What Are The Best Glucose Monitors That Work With iPhone?
We have reviewed here top 11 blood glucose meters, raising their strengths and limitations.
Let’s go through them now.
|Bluetooth-enabled, syncs data to smartphone app, tracks blood glucose levels and related data.
|Dario Blood Glucose Monitor
|Ultra-small, connects to Android and iPhone Dario app, convenient data management.
|One Drop Blood Glucose Meter
|Connects to Apple Watch and iPhone, unlimited diabetes coaching, clinically proven accuracy.
|iHealth Smart Glucose Meter
|CE certified, effective data management, shareable cloud data, portable design.
1. Dario Blood glucose Monitor Review
Dario blood glucose meter is FDA cleared and allows users to monitor the level of their blood glucose with confidence.
This device is ultra-small, which makes it very easy to keep the test strips, lancet, and the meter in your purse or pocket. It is not bulky, but it does a great job.
Tip: Here the complete Dario Glucose Meter Review.
Dario meter puts all your data together in one place when it is connected to your smartphone. With that, you can equally gain a wonderful insight into your health to achieve a great result.
- Compatible with Android and iPhone Dario app.
- It does not need a battery or wire to function.
- It connects and displays on your smartphone the readings of your blood glucose measurement even when you are in the car.
- Dario shares your reading through text or e-mail.
- It provides users with accurate results.
- Dario conveniently plugs into your smartphone to show data.
- No pairing configuration or Bluetooth needed.
- Highly accurate.
- Small pocket size.
- Meter requires less blood compared to other meters available.
There are also some additional features like tracking of physical activities, medications, and counting carbohydrates.
- Your phone must be comfortable with the device.
- Not everybody will be able to work with the App.
- You may need to charge your phone regularly.
2. One Drop Blood Glucose Meter Review
The One Drop blood glucose meter connects to the user’s Apple Watch (iWatch) or iPhone to help people with diabetes monitor the level of their blood meter which does the readings, with an App that also gathers links and data to Apple’s Health App.
Tip: We have previously compared the accuracy between One Drop and Dario Glucose Meters.
This device comes with one-year unlimited diabetes coaching as well.
It is clinically proven accurate and wirelessly transfers blood glucose information through Bluetooth to the user’s smartphone or iOS device using One Drop Mobile App.
One Drop meter is CE and FDA Cleared and is compatible with iPhone, iPad, Apple iWatch, and iPod Touch.
This meter needs only a little (0.5 micro liters) drop of blood to produce an accurate result.
Users can easily maintain their test strips supply by subscribing to One Drop Premium to have access to unlimited test strips for a low price without insurance, prescriptions, or hassles.
- Sleek, modern, and compact meter.
- The case of the meter is made in black designed vegan leather.
- The meter wirelessly transfers the details of the blood glucose to the user’s smartphone through Bluetooth technology using One Drop Chrome Mobile App.
- It allows the users to monitor their data like; food, exercise, and medication.
- Unlimited test strips.
- No insurance needed to be part of the monthly One Drop subscription services.
- Users can easily order diabetes supplies directly with their smartphones through the App.
- The meter is designed with plastic.
- The main kit comes with only 10 lancets.
- Sometimes, Apple Health data might become missing.
- The lancet requires to be separately carried.
- The meter was created for a left-handed person. This implies that users need to insert the test strips with the left hand also, and this could be difficult for the right-handed people.
3. iHealth Smart Glucose Meter Review
This blood sugar measures the quantity of sugar in the blood with sensors to give the user a mg/dl sugar level.
Tip: Have you heard about Livongo Program for diabetics?
This meter comes in an oval shape with a power/memory recall button by the right-hand side. The unite turns on when you long-press the power button for about 3 seconds. Pressing the button subsequently will display the previous readings. And it can store up to 500 results.
Health blood glucose meter has a USB port that can be used to recharge the battery. This device is designed to provide the user with everyday diabetes management in a digital log.
It is compatible with smartphones, both Android and iOS to produce easy to understand charts, graphs, and color-coded data.
- It is CE certified and comes with a clinically approved accuracy.
- Has effective data management.
- Shareable and secure cloud data. It allows the user to transfer results as PDF, CSV, or Excel files and to send to caregivers or healthcare providers.
- Discreet and portable design
The monitor is pocket-sized, which allows users to carry it anywhere. It can fit in a purse, backpack, bag, etc.
- It is affordable and cost just 25 cents for each test strip.
- 5-second fast testing process.
- The meter is compact and portable.
- Easy to use. The device is cheap (approx. $30).
- Inexpensive test strip (cost approx. $25 for 100 test strips).
- Users can easily access test strips without health insurance.
- Easy to understand trends and log.
- It is set up for only one user. If you are using a smartphone, this meter will take a longer time to process results.
4. iHealth Align Blood Glucose Meter Review
This iHealth Align meter is user-friendly for easier and better prices.
With improved biosensor technology, this meter does not demand any coding when using it with the iHealth blood glucose test strips.
Tip: Some find the On Call Glucose Meter range, which consists of On Call GK Dual vs. On Call Express vs. On Call Vivid vs. On Call Vivid Pal useful.
This blood glucose meter is very portable and can easily fit into the pocket and attaches directly to tablets and smartphones for fast and accurate results anywhere and anytime.
iHealth Align blood glucose meter allows users to measure and record the readings of their blood glucose and share results with their caregiver or healthcare professionals directly from their tablets or smartphones.
What’s in the Box?
This device comes with;
- 50 test strips,
- 1 lancing device,
- 10 sterile lancets,
- 1 carrying case, and
- 1 silicone cover.
- FDA Approved.
- Smart portable glucose meter that fits into smartphones.
- It allows users to monitor personal diabetes progress.
- Uses photos to make notes.
- Records activity, food, medication.
- Processes result in 5 seconds.
- It requires only 0.7 micro liters of blood for the test.
- Connect with smartphones.
- The device is affordable and also the strips.
- Very simple to use.
- Portable, tiny, sleek, and simple.
- The Gluco-smart App is free to download.
- The App shows a chart of readings and helps users to track all a diabetic patient would want to.
- It requires insurance to buy test strips with the app.
- It demands code for each new test strip bottle.
- It does not come with the meter case.
- It requires constant recharging of phones.
5. Glooko’s Mobile Diabetes Management Review
Glooko helps people with diabetes to monitor and record their levels of blood sugar directly to their smartphones.
With the Glooko mobile app installed on the user’s smartphone, users can access and store up their reading and data through their smartphones.
Tip: This is our Precision Xtra Blood Glucose and Ketone Meter review.
Glooko can help users to sync and share their diabetes data with their caregivers and healthcare providers to improve outcomes and good health. With Glooko, people with diabetes will be prompted to always check their blood glucose and take the necessary medication. This is with the help of Glooko automated free reminders through the user’s mobile phone.
Also, Glooko has an in-built pattern statement to help users to quickly and easily identify their glucose trends, so that they will improve in their diabetes self-management.
Glookos provides quality healthcare and respects the confidentiality and privacy of the user’s medical information. Users are assured that their communications with their clinic healthcare team are well secured.
- It provides accurate results.
- Glooko meter tracks meals, physical activities, medications and relates it to sugar reading.
- It also tracks actual reading and target achievement of users diabetes regimen.
- The meter adheres to the user’s care plan with a free automated reminder.
- It helps users to understand how some meals affect their blood sugar levels.
- It helps users identify which medication dosages or meal gives better results during exercise.
- It uncovers the causes of hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic events.
- It is portable.
- It requires constant charging of mobile phone batteries.
6. Dexcom G6 Glucose Meter Review
G6 is the most recent Dexcom Continuous Monitor System. It is approved by the FDA, and it measures the blood sugar level without pricking the finger.
This device works with a small sensor that goes beneath the skin to measure glucose reading through interstitial fluid. The G6 has made it quite easy for the sensor wire to get into the skin through their “auto applicator” which then inserts the wire by simply pushing a button.
The sensor wire is held in the skin by a plastic tape that holds the transmitter. The sensor wire connects with the transmitter to read and send the readings to a smartphone or a receiver.
Tip: Don’t underestimate the importance of A1c testing.
- Transmitter and range.
The transmitter, which is the system brain, is very small with modern glucose analyzing algorithms inside. It comes with 3-month battery life with an inbuilt Bluetooth connectivity to allow it to send the readings directly to compatible devices and mobile App every 5 minutes.
- 10-day wear sensor.
The G6 sensor is reliable and accurate and can be continuously worn for 10 days. After the 10th days, the sensor will automatically shut off and will not allow the user to prolong or extend the use.
- Young children of 2 and above can use it.
- It does not require pricking the finger.
- Dexcom G9 is compatible with both Android and iOS.
- It provides predictive and customizable alerts.
- Compatible with Android and iOS.
- No acetaminophen interference.
- Slim transmitter.
- FDA cleared.
- Consistent Bluetooth connectivity.
- No need for calibration.
- New touch screen receiver.
- Easy to use.
- Only a minor pain when inserting the sensor.
- Inability to extend use after 10 days.
- Unreliability of the sensor.
- The transmitter lasts for only 3 months and cannot be reused.
7. Contour Next EZ Review
This contour Next Ez is an amazing device for individuals living with diabetes or people who would have been their first-time having access to testing blood sugar.
This glucose monitor is about 2 inches wide and over 3 inches tall, even though contour Next EZ may not be the smallest monitor on the market but weighs just 1.7 ounces with installed double 3-volt cell batteries.
Tip: Here are the Top 10 Glucose Monitors of the year.
It is known for its accuracy and uses multi-pulse technology in order to deliver the best results. Though this monitor reruns some samples many times to ensure accuracy, and it will deliver the result in only 5 seconds.
This monitor has no Bluetooth technology, but it can be connected to your iPhone with a data cable when you already have Bayer Glucofacts phone, software downloaded in your system.
Features of Contour Next EZ Monitor
- It does not require any coding, which makes it easier to use.
- It uses multi-pulse technology to test sample as many times as possible before delivering an accurate result.
- The display is large.
- Second chance sampling enables the user to add more blood (if necessary), which saves test strips and economy.
- The sip–in sampling takes in just the appropriate quantity of blood sample to the strip at the initial time.
- It marks every test result as a post-meal or pre-meal.
- It gives accurate results within just 5 seconds.
- It requires only -0.6 micro liters of blood.
- It has 480 memory capability value.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Readily available test strips.
- It has a 5 years warranty.
- The display is black and white.
- It needs a USB cable to transfer data to a computer that does not come with the monitor.
- Only the blood sample from the fingertip can be used.
- It needs double CR 2032 batteries.
- The cost is high when compared to One Touch and Accu-Check Meters.
8. Accu–Check Aviva Connect Review
Accu-check Aviva Connects works just as the name implies, it directly connects the blood sugar result to your iPhone and smartphone App to see and follow the results. Bluetooth technology immediately transfers the user’s result to their Android or Apple device. It is designed for individuals who are connected to their iPhones or smartphones most of the time.
This monitor comes with a fast clix lancing device with double drums, a USB cable, and the meter.
Tip: This is our A1cNow+ System review.
Aviva connect turns on automatically when a strip is inserted and also turns off when it is inactive for 90 seconds.
It is powered by double coin cell batteries and takes 0.6 micro liters of blood samples. It takes an average of 5 seconds to read results and holds up to 750 readings memory capacity.
Features of Accu-Check Aviva Connect
- It uses the test strips of Accu-check Aviva Plus, which delivers an advanced accuracy.
- 3 steps easy testing.
- Connects to Android and Apple devices.
- It requires no coding.
- It uses Bluetooth technology to your smartphone.
- When it is connected to the App 2 Accu-Check to connect, it automatically creates texts and results to users and gets bolus advice.
- Easy to use.
- Allows alternative site testing.
- Lancing device.
- It is accurate.
- It is a little bit large and may not be easy for separate testing.
- It has no portlight.
9. One-Touch Ultra 2 Review
One-Touch Ultra 2 is dated, which means it uses coding and its display is not too bright. The user must provide the code on the test strip side before using the meter to test blood. This may add more time to the process than many models currently available on the market.
Tip: Here are the best protein drinks from people with diabetes.
Also, the cost of the test strip of this One Touch Ultra 2 is costly, about $1.32 for a single strip, and it will require up to 1.0 micro liter of a blood sample for testing.
The memory capacity of Ultra 2 can hold up to 500 readings.
It is being powered by a single 3 – volt cell battery.
The One Touch Ultra 2 provides software to monitor your results, but it must be connected with a particular One Touch data cable as it does not contain Bluetooth technology.
Features of One Touch Ultra 2
- One-Touch Ultra 2 comes with the meter (with installed batteries), a guidebook, One Touch Ultra strips, a soft lancing device, and lancets.
- 5 seconds of test time.
- Can test on the finger, palm, or forearm.
- Larger display.
- Transferring data port.
- Helpline customer service.
- 3-years warranty.
- Accurate and reliable.
- Easy to use.
- Provides some results averages calculations.
- Offers some capability for reading comments and tagging.
- Gentle testing.
- Dated, awkward menu interface.
- Preset, limited comments, and tagging that cannot be customized or changed.
- Limited calculations.
10. iHealth BG5 Wireless Smart Glucose Monitor System Review
This is a Bluetooth blood sugar monitor that makes use of sensors to calculate the sugar quantity in the blood to deliver a mg/dl blood glucose level to the user.
Tip: Do you wear a Diabetic Bracelet too?
The iHealth BG5 wireless smart glucose monitor system is small in size, oval in shape with the power/memory recall button by its side.
The unit is turned on when the power button is pressed and held for about 3 seconds. Pressing the power button subsequently will display previous test readings.
This glucose meter has the capacity to store about 500 readings as it also has a USB port by its side to recharge the batteries.
This device can work with a smartphone (Android or Apple phones) to erect an understandable color-coded chart, graphs, and data. The glucose monitoring system comes with several wonderful features, and it is very easy to use.
Features of iHealth BG5 Smart Glucose Monitor System
- iHealth lancing device.
- 10 sterile lancets.
- USB cable.
- Travel ease.
- Quick start guide.
- Alternate site testing clear cap.
- Alternate site testing.
- Proper data management.
- Discrete design.
- Affordable test strips.
- Quick result.
- Clinically approved accuracy.
- It requires more time to check blood sugar when using phones.
11. Ditto Bluetooth LE – Blood Glucose Meter Accessory for iOS and Android Devices Review
This device turns your already existing glucose meter into a smart Bluetooth enabled meter, making the lines of people suffering from diabetes easier. It actually connects to several other glucose meters and allows wireless data directly syncing to the app for viewing and secure storage.
In this case, you don’t have to buy a new meter because Ditto Bluetooth LE can connect to the meters you already have if they are on the Dittos compatibility list.
You don’t also need to buy test strips or manual logbooks because this device collects data from so many meters, and enable users to add their context which is all transferred to the electronic logbook.
Ditto enables users to target certain blood glucose ranges and watch the progress in a very understandable format.
My Ditto Life App enables users to share reports with both caregivers and doctors.
Features of Ditto Bluetooth LE – Blood Glucose Meter Accessory
- It captures data from several compatible blood glucose meters that are FDA approved.
- It gathers and uses all the information that is related to diabetes such as blood glucose, carbohydrates, exercise, medication, and many others, all on your Android smartphone or iOS device.
- FDA approved.
- Help share information with the care team.
- High level of accuracy.
- Connects with several other Glucose meters.
- Easy to use
- Some users complain that the device is larger in size.
- Not compatible with every meter.
12. FreeStyle Libre
The FreeStyle Libre stands as a revolutionary continuous glucose monitoring system that has transformed diabetes management. What sets this system apart is its ability to provide glucose readings without the need for traditional fingersticks. Instead, a small sensor worn on the back of the upper arm captures glucose levels and transmits them to the accompanying mobile app. This wireless syncing to the app allows users to effortlessly track their glucose trends and fluctuations over time, gaining valuable insights into their diabetes management journey.
13. Abbott FreeStyle Precision Neo
The Abbott FreeStyle Precision Neo glucose meter is designed to connect effortlessly with the FreeStyle Libre app, creating a unified platform for glucose monitoring. This meter offers users the convenience of tracking their glucose levels directly on their iPhones. By integrating with the app, users can access detailed insights into their glucose trends, historical data, and patterns, all at their fingertips. The Precision Neo is a testament to how technology can simplify diabetes management by providing accurate readings and intuitive data visualization.
14. Contour Next One
The Contour Next One meter redefines glucose monitoring with its Bluetooth connectivity, enhancing data management and analysis. This innovative meter syncs seamlessly with a smartphone app, enabling users to effortlessly store and track their glucose readings over time. The app’s intuitive interface offers detailed data visualization, trend analysis, and even pattern recognition. With the Contour Next One’s wireless capabilities, users can conveniently share their data with healthcare professionals, fostering collaborative diabetes management.
15. Glucomen Day CGM
The Glucomen Day CGM offers individuals a continuous glucose monitoring solution that aligns with the digital age. This system connects to a dedicated mobile app, allowing users to keep track of their glucose levels in real-time. By providing data tracking and analysis through the app, Glucomen Day CGM empowers users to identify patterns, respond to fluctuations, and optimize their diabetes management strategies. This integration of technology and health provides a holistic view of glucose trends and supports more proactive decision-making.
16. OneTouch Verio Flex
The OneTouch Verio Flex meter combines accuracy with connectivity through its Bluetooth capabilities. This meter easily syncs with the OneTouch Reveal app, ensuring that users have a comprehensive tool for diabetes management. The app’s user-friendly interface enables data tracking, trend analysis, and personalized insights. With the Verio Flex’s Bluetooth connectivity, users can conveniently transfer their glucose readings to their iPhones, fostering a seamless and efficient approach to diabetes monitoring.
17. Medtronic Guardian Connect
Medtronic Guardian Connect stands as a cutting-edge continuous glucose monitoring system that embraces the digital age. Connecting to a mobile app, this system offers remote monitoring and data sharing capabilities. This means that not only can users keep a close watch on their glucose levels, but they can also share this information with caregivers, family members, and healthcare professionals. The Guardian Connect empowers users to proactively manage their diabetes by making informed decisions based on real-time glucose data and collaborative support.
|Continuous monitoring, wireless syncing to iPhone app, no fingersticks.
|Real-time glucose readings transmitted to iPhone app, user-friendly, no fingersticks.
|Abbott FreeStyle Neo
|Connects to iPhone via FreeStyle Libre app, provides accurate glucose readings.
|Contour Next One
|Bluetooth connectivity, syncs data with smartphone app, precise and reliable readings.
|Glucomen Day CGM
|Continuous glucose monitoring, data synced to mobile app for tracking and analysis.
|OneTouch Verio Flex
|Bluetooth connectivity, syncs with OneTouch Reveal app, easy data tracking and analysis.
|Medtronic Guardian Connect
|Real-time monitoring, data sharing with caregivers, remote access to glucose data.
iPhone glucose meters are accurate, dependable, save stress and make the life of patients to access and understand their blood sugar readings, and easily share the readings with their doctors for a more productive conversation and better self-management.
Tip: Did you know Chewing Gum helps with anxiety and stress?