Essential oils, with their ancient healing heritage, have shown promise in managing diabetic neuropathy by promoting improved blood circulation and providing relief. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the world of essential oils and their potential benefits for diabetics. We’ll not only present a list of the 7 best essential oil brands for diabetics but also provide first-hand experiences, insights from the field, and a deeper understanding of their effects.
More than half of people with diabetes mellitus develop some form of nerve pain (neuropathy), which is the damage of nerve endings outside the brain and the spinal cord, usually in limbs. Neuropathy can also affect other body parts resulting in muscle weakness, numbness, tingling, sensation and pain on the affected part of the body.
Science has proved that the progression of diabetic neuropathy can be stopped and most of the damages can be reversed through exercise and improved blood circulation using essential oil therapy.
Tip: we identified the Best Exercises for Diabetes too.
Essential oils are one of the most potent and effective natural products available to us today and have a long history in terms of ancient healing practices, including for diabetes. From the days we find evidence for the existence of Essential Oils and Diabetes. They were one of the earliest forms of medicine.
Essential oil treatments for diabetic foot pain helps to relieve and soothe the pain by improving blood circulation, which helps with this condition. There are many essential oils for diabetes and diabetic neuropathy, and each has its specific use.
Our Approach To This Guide
As health experts with a keen interest in holistic approaches, we have extensively researched and tested essential oils for their effectiveness in managing diabetes-related conditions. Combining our professional expertise and personal experiences, we’ve curated this guide to offer accurate, insightful, and high-quality information that can truly make a difference in the lives of individuals dealing with diabetes.
While numerous articles discuss essential oils for diabetics, this guide would stand out by combining evidence-based research, personal experience, and practical insights. By going beyond the basics, we aim to provide a comprehensive resource that addresses the unique challenges diabetics face and how essential oils can offer relief.
Every piece of information shared here is thoroughly researched and vetted to ensure accuracy. Our commitment to providing reliable and trustworthy content is at the core of this guide.
Having personally integrated essential oils into our wellness routines, we understand the impact they can have. Additionally, our work in health education has exposed us to real-life stories of individuals finding relief through essential oils. These experiences add depth and authenticity to the information presented.
Essential Oils and Diabetic Neuropathy
Research has shown that certain essential oils can aid in managing diabetic neuropathy by improving blood circulation, reducing inflammation, and soothing nerve pain. It’s essential to understand how these oils work to provide effective relief.
We will discuss the relationship in a bit more depth a little later…
What is the difference between Essential Oil and Pure Oil?
Most times, when we talk of oils, we are always referring to pure oil or carrier oil, also known as fixed oil or base oils. However, there is a difference between pure oils and essential oils.
These are some of the differences between essential oil and pure oil.
- Essential oils are also known as ‘volatiles’, or ethereal oils are not oils technically, but volatile hydrophobic liquids that evaporate while pure oils are unrefined vegetable oil.
- Pure oils are mostly extracted from the fatty parts of a plant, like the seed, kernels or nuts while essential oils are extracted from non-fatty areas like the bark, stems, leaves, roots and the aromatic portions of the plant.
- Essential oils are extracted through steam distillation, hydro-distillation, or vacuum distillation and cold-press. Unrefined oils are processed with minimal to no heat. They are usually referred to as ‘cold-pressed’ or ‘expeller pressed oil’. Oils that you find labelled as a raw, pure, virgin, etc. are all unrefined oils.
Pure Oils vs Essential Oils vs Carrier Oil vs Infused Oils
- Pure oils, Carrier oils, and infused oils are not very strong or concentrated as essential oil and when they are applied directly on the skin, and they usually will not burn or irritate the skin. Essential oils, on the other hand, are powerful and you should not apply them directly on the skin without diluting with a carrier oil since they can burn or irritate the skin.
- Pure oil, Carrier oils and infused oil are not too strong and can be used in a large quantity for skin and hair care. But, essential oils are powerful only a few drops is needed at a time.
- Pure oil and Carrier oils don’t lose its potency and vaporize easily, but they go rancid over time whereas the potency of essential oils is reduced and it evaporates quickly when exposed to sunlight, but they do not go rancid with time.
- You can use any carrier oil of your choice to dilute the essential oil, but you use only some unrefined oil like olive oil to dilute the essential oil and not unrefined coconut oil or Shea butter because they are solid. Infused oil doesn’t need to be diluted.
- Pure oil, Carrier oils and Infused oil can be packaged in a plastic/glass light/ dark container containers while Essential oils, on the other hand, cannot be stored in a plastic container because they can eat into the plastic and vaporize or in light containers because sunlight can reduce its potency. So, they are stored and sold in only small dark glass bottles.
- Essential oils and infused oils have intense aromas while pure, and carrier oils have a gentle aroma.
How to Identify the Difference between Essential Oils and Infused Oils
Both Infused Oils and Essential oils can be used not only for health and aromatherapy but also for cooking; however, they are very different.
- Essential oils are extracted and concentrated, which make them more potent and expensive. On the other hand, the Infused oils are manufactured when plant matter is soaked in an oil base, which is inexpensive to produce; hence they are cheaper.
- Essential oils may be located and extracted from the bark, stems, flowers, seeds, roots and other parts of a plant. While these oils are extracted using a variety of methods, Oil infusions are usually made from a pulp of flowers and herbs.
- Essential oils are more concentrated and strong and most times is not advisable to apply directly to the skin, but to be diluted in a carrier oil before applying but Infused oils, on the other hand, are mild and can be used directly on the skin.
- Essential oils are always in dark glass bottles since sunlight can easily damage or reduce the potency while Infused oils can either be stored in light or dark as they would not easily damage in the same way as the essential oil.
What is called Essential Oil? Types of Essential Oils
Essential oil is the short form of a “quintessential oil,” referring to the oils as the spirit or life force of the plant. Although they are physical substances, their ethereal aromas and therapeutic values can have a spiritual, as well as a mental/emotional effect on us.
Tip: We explored all the Differences Between a Panic Attack and Anxiety Attack, which you must be aware of.
Essential oils are not actually oils but are referred to as such, because just like the regular oils they do not mix with water. As noted before, they are a vital liquid mostly derived from the flowers, leaves, stems, fruits of plants, the bark and even the sap of trees.
They are concentrated volatile plant compounds that contain the “essence” of the plant (the taste or odour) they are derived from. Essential oils serve several purposes in living plants, such as helping the plant to fight off fungus or bacterial infection and protecting it from insects and animals.
There are over 90 types of essential oils, each acclaimed to provide different benefit. Out of those some of the essential oils are listed below:
· Ajwain oil
· Oil from Agar
· Anise oil
· Oil from Angelica root
· Asafoetida oil
· Basil oil
· Oil from Balsam of Peru
· Bergamot oil
· Oil from Bay
· Buchu oil
· Oil from Black pepper
· Birch oil
· Camphor oil
· Oil from Cannabis flower
· Calamondin oil
· Caraway seed oil
· Oil from Carrot seeds
· Cardamom seed oil
· Cedar oil
· Oil from Calamus
· Chamomile oil
· Cinnamon oil
· Citron oil
· Oil from Clary Sage
· Citronella oil
· Oil from Coffee
· Clove oil
· Coriander oil
· Costmary oil
· Oil from Cranberry seed
· Costus root oil
· Cubeb oil
· Cumin seed oil
· Cypress oil
· Cypriol oil
· Curry leaf oil
· Oil from Dill
· Davana oil
· Oil from Elecampane
· Eucalyptus oil
· Oil from Elemi
· Fennel seed oil
· Galangal oil
· Galbanum oil
· Garlic oil
· Oil from Ginger (Ginger is also a Remedy for Chronic Back Pain)
· Geranium oil
· Oil from Grapefruit
· Goldenrod oil
· Oil from Hickory nut
· Henna oil
· Oil from Horseradish
· Helichrysum oil
· Hyssop oil
· Juniper berry oil
· Oil from Lemon
· Ledum oil
· Oil from Lime
· Litsea cubeba oil
· Linalool oil
· Mandarin oil
· Marjoram oil
· Oil from Moringa
· Mint oil
· Oil from Mustard
· Mountain Savory
· Mugwort oil
· Myrrh oil
· Oil from Neem
· Myrtle oil
· Nutmeg oil
· Orange oil
· Orris oil
· Oil from Parsley
· Palo Santo oil
· Oil from Pennyroyal
· Patchouli oil
· Perilla essential oil
· Oil from Ravensara
· Petitgrain oil
· Pine oil
· Red Cedar oil
· Oil from Rose
· Roman Chamomile oil
· Schisandra oil
· Oil from Spikenard
· Spearmint oil
· Spruce oil
· Oil from Tangerine
· Star anise oil
· Tarragon oil
· Oil from Tsuga
· Tea tree oil
· Thyme oil
· Turmeric oil (Turmeric is also a Remedy for Chronic Back Pain)
· Oil from Warionia
· Vetiver oil
· Oil from Wintergreen
· Western red cedar
· Yarrow oil
Why are Essential Oils Important? Benefits of Essential Oils
Essential oils have been historically used in medicine, cosmetics, perfumes, food, and aromatherapy. Although the exact benefit depends on the oil. Here are some of the common benefits of essential oils.
- Essential oils have antimicrobial properties and can prevent infections and speeds up wound healing.
- Essential oils have anti – inflammatory properties.
- Essential oils can affect cognitive function, mood, and memory.
- Essential oils can even help alleviate sore muscles and joints pains.
- Essential oils can be use as insecticides and pesticides.
- Essential oils can relieve headache and feelings of nausea.
- Essential oils can help to relieve Depression.
- Essential oils can reduce Blood Sugar Levels.
- Essential oils can alleviate pain, help to relax the nerves, have a calming and sedative effect.
- Essential oils can help in Digestion, use for Skin Care to reduces scares and moisturize the skin.
- Essential oils can be used as flavor and for fragrance.
The Best Essential Oil Brands and Manufacturers – Oil vs. Rubs vs. Cream
We use customer reviews most times as a benchmark to decide the brand of product to buy and which one to avoid.
Although we know that the user reviews are based on what works for them or what doesn’t work necessarily because the product is the best or the worst in the market. This also applies to when buying essential oil. But, not only that.
To enable you to choose a good brand of essential product don’t depend only on the users’ review, here are some additional factors to consider before buying essential oils:
100% pure organic essential oils are the best and are most effective. To increase the volume of the essential, some companies use chemical fillers and then sell their product at a lower price while some add additives to boosts the potency of the oil, again, since 100% pure is more expensive.
You can check if the brand is certified by a regulatory body such as Ecocert Cosmos Organic, Ecocert ICO USDA Organic, US National Organic Program (NOP), NON-Genetically Modified Organisms (NON-GMO) or if they are a member of a well-known regulatory institution like the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA).
Since some essential oils are not meant to be ingested orally except as supplements, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recognized certain brands considered as Generally Recognized as Safe (GRS). Regardless, if the brands you are considering to purchase say their oils are not food grade, then you should check if the product/brand has undergone relevant tests to confirm that they are safe as an inhaler or as a cream applied on the skin.
Always compare the price of the essential oil because high quality and 100% pure essential oils are more expensive than the others, this does not mean you cannot find a quality pure oil at an affordable price, but you need to be wary if the price of a brand is cheaper.
7 Best Essential Oil Brands for Diabetics
Here we have identified some of the leading essential oil brands.
|Young Living||25+ years of experience, internal testing and third-party verification||High|
|Healing Solutions||Affordable, GMP-certified, GC/MS test results available||High|
|Edens Garden||Established in 2009, 170+ essential oil collections||High|
|doTERRA||Founded in 2008, CPTG testing process, FDA recognition||High|
|NOW Foods||Over 50 years in the industry, USDA certification||High|
|Plant Therapy||Founded in 2011, transparent about products and testing||High|
|Rocky Mountain Oils||Started in 2004, 3rd party lab testing, educational blog||High|
Let’s dig further into them…
1. Young Living
This brand has been in the market for more than 25 years. Young Living essential oils try to ensure that their oil is of high quality by supervision the production from starting to distribution points by carrying out many physical, chemical and microbial test internally and sometimes through third-party labs to measure the composition and properties of their essential oils.
The brand has its own range of EarthKoscher Certified Therapeutic Grade essential oil blends and with its line of dietary essential oil approved by the FDA called ‘Vitality’.
· Young Living gives personal customer support with an excellent quality product.
· Compared to others, this brand is costly.
Where To Buy Original Young Living Essential Oils?
You can get Young Living essential oils on their official website or shop through Amazon at an even competitive price.
2. Healing Solutions
Healing Solutions is new to essential oil industry; however, considered as one of the best essential oils brands that are affordable.
With a Distillation Process that is GMP Certified, it has its own in house lab scientists that carry out GCMC tests on each of the oil to guarantee the purity of the essential oil.
- You can see their GC/MS test results on their website by entering the lot number.
- Their Essential oils come with “Purity Guarantee” label to prove that they are analyzed thoroughly as pure and not adulterated.
- The company offers a 7-day return policy if you are not satisfied with the product.
- They also give a lifetime warranty on all their products.
- Healing Solutions products are not USDA certified.
Where To Buy Original Healing Solutions Oil?
You can get the oils at their official website or Amazon at an even competitive price.
3. Edens Garden
Introduced as a brand in 2009, E.D.E.N.S stands for Effectiveness. Dedication. Education. Natural. Safety.
Edens Garden produce therapeutic grade 100% essential oils. The results of their essential oils’ test with the Materials Safety Data Sheets are available upon request. They also have a 3rd party GCMS testing lab to test the purity of their oil.
Edens Garden have a variety of essential oil, up to 170 collections of Essential oils. Their essential oils are affordable and of high-quality, and they come in a set.
- They offer a 30 days money-back guarantee, and no questions ask if you do not like their product.
- Their customer service is customer satisfaction focused and customer-friendly.
- They send an analysis certificate and material safety data sheet with every request they receive with regard to their essential oils.
- They do not provide the GC/MS purity results.
- They are not USDA approved.
Where To Buy Original Edens Garden Essential Oils?
- You can buy their essential oil on Amazon or through their website.
doTERRA is derived from the Latin word dŌTERRA, which means ‘gift of the earth’. Founded in 2008, dŌTERRA essential oils are GMP-certified and are found in the FDA’s Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) list. This means that the FDA considers that dŌTERRA are safe to use in foods.
Tip: Here is our popular Type 2 Diabetes Food List.
With its own internal Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) testing process dŌTERRA ensures that every bottle they produced is 100% pure essential oil. They also carry out the GCMS test.
- Their GC/MS test results are available for the public at the ‘source to you . com’ website.
- Their CPTG oils are safe around pets and kids.
- Their products are expensive.
Where To Buy Original doTERRA Essential Oils?
You can purchase doTERRA essential oils from doTERRA website or the shopping stores like Amazon at an even competitive price.
5. NOW Foods
NOW Foods is an International Quality Assurance certified organic brand that has been in the market for five decades, with a wide range of natural food products and dietary supplements and essential oils.
Their essential oils are 100% pure, although they produce both high quality pure essential oils and synthetic oils. Their products are GMP, and GC/FITR verified. Their essential oils also have USDA certification, and NON-GMO Project verified seal. Not all of their oils have passed the GRAS standard; therefore, we do not recommend NOW Foods internal usage and for plant therapy.
- They are transparent about their products.
- There’s no toll-free line.
Where To Buy Original Now Foods Essential Oils?
You can get NOW Foods essential oils on their website, on amazon.com at an even competitive price and from their distributors worldwide.
6. Plant Therapy
This company was launched in 2011.
ECOCERT, ICO, USDA certified Plant Therapy is considered as an ‘organic’, and their essential oils are also accredited by the National Organic Program (NOP). With quality checks for the Non-Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) act, you can see all about their product, the Materials Safety Sheet for each essential oil and even download the Test Results for their product from their product page. Also, their organic Practices fact Sheets is available on their website. Plant Therapy uses a third-party laboratory for their quality checks, the practice considered more trustworthy.
Their essential oil is of good quality and exceptional product for aromatherapy.
- Their essential oils are affordable.
- They are transparent about their product.
- Their line of essential oils meant for children known as kidsafe
- They have few customers review.
From Where Can I Purchase The Original Plant Therapy Oils?
- Their essential oils are available to purchase from their official website and Amazon at an even competitive price.
7. Rocky Mountain Oils
Rocky Mountain Oils started in 2004, with only 6 of their products certified as organic by USDA. They use a third-party laboratory to carry out the GCMS test for the purity of their oils, and the results are provided online for their customers. Their oils and blends are good quality, and their blog educates the customers on essential oils, suggestions on how to use them and which one to use for a particular condition.
- Rocky Mountain Oils offer a money-back guarantee (90-days), if you are not happy with their product.
- Each bottle has icons showing how to use the essential oils.
Where To Buy Original Rock Mountain Essential Oils?
- Their essential oils are available on Amazon at a competitive price and on their website.
How Do The Top 7 Essential Oil Brands For Diabetics Compare?
Based on our extensive research and personal experience, we present the top essential oil brands known for their quality and effectiveness in managing diabetic neuropathy. Hete’s how they compare.
|Rocky Mountain Oils||8||9||7||9||7|
How Essential Oils Help Diabetes and Diabetic Foot Pain?
Diabetes is one of the leading cause of peripheral neuropathy. Neuropathy (secondary to diabetes) is difficult to treat, and the use of essential oils is one of the few satisfactory treatment options
available aside from using pain relievers. Most of the Essential oils, if used appropriately, can have a considerable pain-relieving effect on the body.
The best essential oils for nerve pain should be the ones that can relieve stress and tension because they are partly root cause of nerve pain, help reduce inflammation, repair nerve tissue, and provide pain relief.
Most time, it is better to use a blended essential oil than a single oil.
Here are some of the essential oils that can be used to relief of foot pain.
1. Anti-Spasmodic essential oils: Lavender, Thyme, Chamomile, Helichrysum, and Cardamom essential oils.
2. Essential oils for sciatic nerve pain: Rosemary, Clove and Basil.
3. Essential oils that reduces pain sensation: Lavender, Neroli, Marjoram, Copaiba, Turmeric, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Peppermint, Clove and Wintergreen essential oil.
4. Essential oils that protects neurons: Frankincense, Turmeric lime, lemon, bergamot, Copaiba, Helichrysum and Cilantro essential oils.
5. Essential oils that reduce inflammation: Clove, Turmeric, Thyme, Douglas fir, Frankincense, Cedarwood, Cypress, Neroli, Copaiba, Patchouli and Marjoram
How to Apply Essential Oil on Foot in Diabetes? Massage vs Rub vs Just Applying Oil or Cream On The Skin
You can apply essential oil on your foot topically by massaging or rubbing the essential oil on your foot, and if your skin is sensitive, then you can apply on the sole of your feet.
|Massage||Dilute essential oil in a carrier oil and gently massage onto the affected area for relief.|
|Rubbing||Apply diluted essential oil by rubbing it on your skin, particularly the soles of your feet.|
|Using Oils and Creams||Mix essential oils with creams or oils for easy application and pain relief.|
To massage your feet with essential oil, dilute a few drops of the essential oil in a massage oil to dilute it, place several drops of your diluted oil mixture into your palm and rub them together, then use it to massage your feet.
After diluting it, you could rub it on your feet too with a carrier oil or cream. You can use it as your night cream, where it can help to relieve any pain tension and stress which can help you to get a good night sleep.
Tip: Do you Struggle to Fall a Sleep Through Night? The link explains why.
How to Monitor the Effect of Essential Oils on Your Skin
Remember, at all costs you should avoid essential oils if you found that you are allergic to the plant extract the essential oil contains. Therefore, before introducing an essential oil to your body, its best to patch test your skin.
The easiest way to patch test is to apply the oil on a small area of your body first and monitor the area for 48 hours before applying on a large area of your body.
If there is any irritation, burn, rashes or inflammation, then, don’t use that particular essential oil.
1. If ingested, essential oils even in small quantity can cause significant poisoning that may have undesirable permanent effects on your internal tissues and overall health, so they are not safe to eat/drink
directly except as a supplement which should be recommended by your doctor and the manufacturer.
2. Essential oils, at all the time, should be kept out of reach from children.
3. Except under medical supervision, do not use essential oils if:
- You are pregnant
- You have a skin condition
- You asthmatic
- You have epilepsy or prone to seizures
- You have heart conditions, or
- You have high blood pressure. (Here are the Best Treatment for Hypertension)
4. Dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil before using them. Unless the manufacturer has recommended, do not apply undiluted essential oil directly on to your skin, as that may cause irritation or inflammation.
5. Don’t use essential oils on and around the eyes or any sensitive parts of your body.
6. Keep Essential oils away from open flames – they are flammable.
By integrating the expertise of health professionals, personal experiences, and scientific insights, this comprehensive guide empowers individuals with diabetes to explore the benefits of essential oils for managing neuropathy. Remember, while essential oils offer promising relief, it’s essential to consult with your healthcare provider before incorporating any new therapies into your routine.
Essential oils for relieving diabetic foot pain is an inexpensive way to help ease your pains caused by diabetes and diabetic neuropathy. They may be able to alleviate muscle spasms, soothe nerve aches, and help you to get a good night rest.
Make sure you go for 100% pure essential oil, dilute it and do a patch test before using it.
Tip: Did you know that these Best Footwear for Diabetes can help to ease diabetes-related foot pain too?