As seasoned experts in health management, specializing in diabetes care and related topics, we understand the critical importance of suitable footwear for individuals living with diabetes. In this comprehensive guide to choosing the best footwear for diabetics, we will delve into the world of diabetic footwear, shedding light on its significance, types, benefits, and the key considerations you need to make when choosing the ideal pair for your needs. Through our years of experience, both in research and practical application, we aim to provide you with valuable insights that align with your best outcome.
When it comes to managing diabetes, one thing that is even recommended by doctors is diabetic footwear. This type of footwear is specifically meant and designed for diabetic patients.
By footwear, we don’t mean only diabetic shoes but even other footwear products like socks, sandals, slippers, etc. they are known to provide plenty of benefits because of which it is in high demand among diabetic patients.
Starting from maintaining your blood flow to protecting your joints, diabetic footwear is used for a number of purposes.
Sadly, there is no definite treatment available for diabetes. Most people with diabetes either rely on pills or regular doses of injections in order to keep their sugar level in control.
Over time, they may have to change your treatment plans several times. However, with the fast progress made in the medical field, it is expected that there will soon be a permanent solution available. Until then, you need to take care of your body for the better.
If you wish to get benefited from diabetic footwear, you need to get the best products from the market.
In this article, we are going to dive into the details of types of diabetic footwear, its benefits and also how to choose the right product for your needs.
Understanding the Crucial Role of Diabetic Footwear
Managing diabetes extends beyond medications and dietary adjustments; it also encompasses meticulous care for your feet. This is where diabetic footwear steps in. These specialized footwear options, including shoes, socks, inserts, slippers, and sandals, are designed to address the unique needs of individuals with diabetes.
Drawing from extensive experience and field expertise, we emphasize that diabetic footwear is not a mere accessory; it’s an essential tool for maintaining foot health and preventing complications. Individuals with diabetes are prone to reduced blood circulation, nerve damage, and susceptibility to infections. Diabetic footwear can mitigate these risks by promoting proper blood flow, cushioning pressure points, and offering adequate support.
Types Of Diabetic Footwear
Diabetic footwear is particularly designed for people suffering from diabetes.
As an umbrella term, they include different types of footwear, such as shoes, socks, shoe inserts, slippers, sandals, etc. And as already mentioned above, those special footwear has a number of benefits to offer.
Having said that, now let’s take a look into the types of diabetic footwear and what they can do for you.
1. Diabetic socks
Designed to keep your feet dry at all times, Diabetic socks are nothing like regular socks.
These socks are made with breathable materials which help in keeping your feet sweat free and dry even when you wear it for longer hours.
Other than that, it also quite a few other benefits. For example, it can reduce the chances of getting any foot injury and also helps in maintaining blood circulation.
Unlike regular socks, diabetic socks are made with unique materials like nylon, Lycra, etc. this fabric has the ability to remove moisture from your feet.
Not just that, but the socks are also padded, non-binding and has a great fit. All these factors together make diabetic socks helpful for diabetic people.
Based on in-the-field experience, we stress that proper moisture management is pivotal for diabetic foot care. The unique fabric of diabetic socks assists in maintaining dryness and preventing skin-related complications, which can be particularly problematic for individuals with diabetes.
2. Diabetic shoes
You can even get special shoes for diabetic people.
These shoes may look like regular shoes, but they have been associated with a lot of benefits. There are diabetic shoes for both men and women. These type of shoes are recommended by doctors to their patients.
Diabetic shoes are designed to maintain blood flow. Since diabetic patients are prone to high blood sugar and numb feet, these shoes can prove to be of great help to them.
That’s not the all, but diabetes shoes are also more comfortable to wear than a normal pair of sneakers.
To put it simply, diabetic shoes are different from regular shoes in many ways. For example, they are bigger than normal shoes. This is because diabetic patients need space to swell a bit.
The best thing about diabetes shoes is that people can even wear them without diabetes as it helps in treating problems like feet pain or sores.
With hands-on experience in assessing diabetic footwear, we recommend diabetic shoes that accommodate foot swelling and ensure adequate blood circulation. These shoes are specifically designed to address the challenges faced by individuals with diabetes, such as numbness and reduced sensation.
3. Shoe inserts
Shoe inserts are not only used by diabetic people, but they are also used by athletes. It is mainly used to provide extra support and cushioning.
Shoe inserts are mainly made of materials like plastic, foam, and gel. You can easily slide it in your shoes and make yourself feel comfortable. Although, it is not meant to correct any type of foot problems.
These are the main types of diabetic footwear you can get for yourself. Just because you are diabetic doesn’t mean that you are eliminated from the group of wearing fashionable and comfortable footwear.
You can avail plenty of other footwear options like walking shoes, dress shoes, casual shoes, etc., listed on the market.
With all the options available, you always don’t have to wear boring diabetic shoes everywhere. You can wear different types of shoes based on your choice and still be benefited from it. Before buying any of the diabetic footwear, make sure that they are good enough.
Tips on Buying Diabetic Footwear
Diabetic footwear is clearly not meant for fashion. These are special footwear that is designed to provide you comfort and support. Therefore, choosing any random footwear just because it looks stylish won’t help you.
You need to get the products that are actually beneficial to you. In case, you are buying diabetic footwear for the first time, you can follow the tips given in pointers.
1. You should avoid buying shoes with pointed toes. These type of shoes are uncomfortable to wear and can cause pain after wearing them for a long time. Also, pointed shoes don’t have enough space to let your feet swell.
(However, hope you remember foot pain can be a warning sign of diabetes itself and may not get to do with your footwear)
2. You should look for styles that come with soft insoles. This will ensure maximum comfort for your feet.
3. Shoes with high heels or a flat sole should be avoided as they are not designed to distribute the foot pressure evenly.
4. If you are to buy diabetic footwear like socks, shoes or insets, make sure that you always go for a reputed brand that is trusted by people. This will ensure that you are using the best product for yourself.
5. Before buying any diabetic footwear products, make sure that you check its features. That’s because all products are not created equally. Some may be good, while others are not. Therefore, you need to be particular with your choice.
6. Instead of stylish looks, you should find out whether the footwear is comfortable or not. Good diabetic footwear is supposed to provide you with maximum support and comfort.
7. When it comes to buying diabetic socks, make sure that you go for a nonbinding and seamless product. That’s because it allows maximum blood circulation.
8. In the case of diabetic socks, you should look for features such as breathability, material, ability to prevent moisture, etc. all these qualities are the mark of a good product.
9. If you are to buy diabetic shoes, you should check for features such as buckles, Velcro, laces, etc. All this is required to adjust the shoe according to your comfort.
10. Before you decide to buy diabetic shoes, you should measure your feet so that you can get the right size.
11. A pair of diabetic socks shouldn’t be too loose or too tight as it may have an impact on the blood circulation. Therefore, you should always get the exact size of diabetic socks.
12. It is always a smart move to try the products before you get them home. This way you don’t have to regret the product later on. This also means that it is better to shop offline instead of online.
13. Before wearing any type of diabetic footwear, it is better to consult your doctor. He will be able to tell you better what is good for you and what’s not.
14. Just wearing the shoes once in the showroom won’t help you decide anything. You should walk around a bit to determine if the shoes are comfortable or not.
15. No matter what diabetic footwear item you want to get make sure that you go for a comfortable material. This is particularly true if you are to wear it all day long.
16. Sometimes it is better to trust your own comfort instead of relying on the size or description of the shoe. After all, it’s you who are going to wear it, so you be the judge.
17. Check the insides of the shoes for any seams or tags that may cause irritation to your skin. This may sound small, but it is a serious thing for a diabetic patient.
18. Not all diabetic patients are required to use diabetic footwear. This is why it is advised for you first to consult a doctor before you arrive at any decision.
19. Make sure that your diabetic socks and shoes have the ability to wick moisture. The material used should have a good moisture retention capacity to avoid any bacterial growth or infection.
20. Since diabetic footwear is available in different price ranges, it is better to decide on a budget before you hit the showroom.
21. It is important for people with diabetes to exercise, and your footwear should be exercise friendly.
What To Look For In Diabetic Shoes?
Choosing the right pair of diabetic shoes can be really challenging, especially if this is your first time. There are so many things to look into that determines the overall quality and performance of the shoes.
|Fit||Opt for shoes that provide ample space for foot swelling without compromising comfort.|
|Breathability||Prioritize footwear with breathable materials to maintain dryness and reduce the risk of infections.|
|Comfort||Select footwear with cushioning, support, and ergonomic design to ensure all-day comfort.|
|Value for Money||Invest in reputable brands known for their commitment to quality and foot health.|
|Expertise||Seek advice from a healthcare professional or specialist to align your choice with your specific needs.|
To help you out, we have laid out the main factors that you need to look into while buying new diabetic shoes.
One of the important factors is the choice of materials. Diabetic shoes are made of different materials. Each of which has some benefits to offer.
There are mainly three kinds of insoles used to make diabetic shoes for diabetic patients suffering from neuropathy. The materials include microcellular rubber, polyurethane, ethylene vinyl acetate, and cork.
Unlike regular shoes, diabetic shoes are made of unique materials. This enables the shoes to provide maximum support and comfort to the wearer.
Best to check the shoe material before buying it. The one that you choose should be comfortable enough for you. This is more important when you have to wear shoes for a longer time.
If you want to get the best quality shoes, it is advised for you to choose a reputed brand. You may have to spare a few bucks extra, but it is totally worth it.
Before buying a pair of diabetic shoes, having the right fit is very important. That’s because the fittings of the shoe can have an impact on the blood circulation.
You cannot wear shoes that are too tight or loose for you. Take your measurement to be certain about your shoe size.
Getting the right size is also related to comfort. Diabetic shoes are designed for comfort. If you have the right fit you can feel more comfortable in it.
If you get the chance to try out the shoes before you actually buy them, walk around a little, and you will know if the fit is fine and whether the shoes are comfortable or not.
The breathability of a pair of diabetic shoes is depended on the type of material used.
Shoes that come with a more breathable fabric allows better circulation of air. This means that it can keep your feet dry and sweat-free all the time.
If your shoes get soaked with moisture, it may lead to infection and bacterial growth, which is not at all good for a diabetic patient. Therefore, you should check the breath ability of the fabric before you get the shoe home.
Comfort is one of the most important factors to consider.
No matter what shoes you buy, you cannot wear them if you are not comfortable in it. Well, the same applies to diabetic shoes as well.
The level of comfort is dependent on quite a few factors. For example, what is the material used, does the shoe fit you well, etc. all these together determines the comfort level of your diabetic shoes.
Only you can decide whether you feel comfortable in the shoes or not. Instead of regretting later, try them beforehand, if you can.
5. Value for money
If you are to buy a pair of diabetic shoes, it should provide you with complete value for your money. Check out the features offered by the shoes and then compare it with its price tag. This will help you to determine if you are getting full value for your money. Good diabetic shoes are expected to come with all the needed features, and therefore, they are mostly expensive. If you want the best, you may have to pay more.
These are all the factors you cannot ignore while buying diabetic shoes. As a buyer, you should register these points in your mind so that you are able to make the right choice at the showroom.
Having interacted with various diabetic footwear brands and engaged in comprehensive research, we emphasize that the value of diabetic footwear extends beyond aesthetics. It’s about safeguarding your foot health and preventing potential complications.
Best Shoes For Diabetic Men
We have listed some of the best shoes for men who have diabetes. If you are planning to get new shoes, you can refer to this list for your benefit.
1. New Balance Men’s MW577 Hook and Loop Walking Shoe
New Balance is one of the most popular brands when it comes to diabetic shoes.
This shoe is designed for ultimate comfort. With superior cushioning and durability, the shoes prove to be of great use for the wearer. The shoe is equipped with Absorb cushioning which enables the shoe to become extremely efficient in shock absorption.
In addition, the shoe is constructed with quality materials to give you the ultimate comfort that you are looking for. The design of the shoe is also very aesthetically pleasing.
2. Sketchers Men’s Afterburn M.Fit Strike On
Its excellent design is the first thing you will notice about this shoe. The shoes feature dual straps along with a padded collar and tongue for improved stability and comfort.
The breathable mesh lining will make sure your feet is dry and sweat-free. For prolonged comfortability, the shoes are equipped with insoles made of memory foam.
The Best Footwear For Diabetic Women
No, we haven’t forgotten about the ladies. These are two of the best diabetic shoes designed for women.
1. Propet Women’s Mary Jane
This is the favourite choice for both diabetic and non-diabetic women.
With adjustable hook-and-loop strap, the shoes are easy to adjust. Not just that, but you can also get different sizes available.
The removable insole allows you to use your own orthotic. With 1 1/2cm heel, the shoes are meant to provide adequate comfort and balance. Along with it, the shoes are also made very durable.
This long-lasting pair of shoes also comes with a stylish look.
2. Women’s Extra Wide Width Adjustable Diabetic Slippers
For ladies with extra wide feet can find this pair to be the ideal option for them.
The shoes feature Velcro straps which allow you to adjust the shoes easily. One of the main features is that it comes with a slip-resistant sole. Not just that, but the shoes are also very soft and comfortable to wear.
Diabetic footwear like shoes, socks, etc., are needed to help you with your condition. Since these shoes are made for a special case, you should choose the best product for yourself. After reading this article, hopefully, you have an idea on how to choose the best diabetic footwear.
Even if it costs you more, you should go for the best one which will save many bucks in the long run.
Drawing from our personal experience, we encourage you to prioritize your foot health by investing in diabetic footwear that reflects your unique needs. Through our extensive research and hands-on involvement in the realm of diabetes management, we are dedicated to empowering individuals with accurate, practical, and authoritative insights. While there are many options available, you are welcome to contact us with any comments and guidance.
Thanks for reading!