The snappy answer that comes from anyone to the question, ‘tell any disease?’ is quick, that is ‘diabetes’. Yeah, it’s seen and prevalent in every household. But, are you fully aware of what it is actually? We are familiar with the word diabetes and its most believed myths rather than the facts grounded around it.
Diabetes encircles two types, one which the Type 1 is also featured as childhood diabetes., and can be seen before you hit your late 30s. The type 2 diabetes is the long-standing devious disease we are speaking of, here the body strikes the non-co-operation movement, resisting the production of insulin, which is assigned the role of absorption of glucose into the cells. This causes diabetes, which can be caused due to several reasons.
We have discussed the differences between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes.
If you start feeling your sight going blurred, increased fatigue, recurrent urination, extreme thirst, and lethargic feelings are the early warning signs of diabetes and yet neglected before being diagnosed.
Western countries have more risks of diabetes, your overweight and your physical activities add-on to risk factors for diabetes. The condition of prediabetes
is an alarming bell to the dangerously onsetting diabetes, though its signs are identified early and managed well, it could be cured entirely or at least delayed by decades.
What Does Diabetes Do To The Body?
Some of the common effects and complications of diabetes on your body are noted below.
- Loss of vision, it gives a blurred sight of images making it hard to see.
- Grazing appetite,
- Feeling thirst and strengthless,
- Unhealing wounds and cuts, kidney issues,
- Cardiovascular tissues and tooth gum bleeding and inflammations
- Unbalanced weight gains and losses.
- Neuropathy related problems in limbs, wide skin diseases.
Diabetic Friendly Food List
People always come up to say that they have found a diabetic control diet.
Do you have a minimal glance at what is what about diabetes and the food to be eaten?
There are several food plans and diet charts that are hovering around pushing us into the chaos. The people with diabetes need not go on intrinsic and lonesome dietary habits to hack away the problem.
I suggest following the regular beaming diet along with your family with a little change in its ingredients portion and maintaining your body metabolism with a staunch ritual of exercise. Healthy habits can drive away from the symptoms keeping your body more balanced than the diet and medications alone.
Let me stipulate some of the foods that are potentially diabetic friendly.
Include an abundance of veggies from above the ground in your diet, what is more, appealing the all green, green, and GREEN. Looks splattered in front?
Green leaves, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, tomatoes are allowed completely. The myth that white foods are to be avoided can be thrown to the trash and cauliflowers can be included in your diet, it has all the useful minerals your body needs from vitamin C, Calcium and vitamin B6 holding in it.
Carrots, beets, pumpkins, cereals, turnips can be added in medium levels.
All the berries including raspberries, strawberries, blueberries in a half cup serve on a daily note along with cereals, lentils, mung dal in a portion sized to quarter cup fills in are within ‘healthy’ limits.
Kiwi, pears, oranges, avocado, grapefruit, guava, black plums, cherries, and apples are usually allowed too depending on the severity of diabetes.
Best Diabetic Smoothies
Low sugar strawberry smoothie which is low in sugars and carbohydrates with high nutrient value and vegetables overloaded Kale and coconut oil smoothie some of the popular ideals for people with diabetes.
Low-Sugar Strawberry Smoothie
– 8 fl oz unsweetened soy milk
– 1 cup spinach
– 5 medium strawberries
– ¼ cup plain nonfat Greek yoghurt
– 1/2 cup cooked oats (cooled)
– 1 tbsp chia seeds
– 1 stevia packet
Kale and Coconut Oil Smoothie
– 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
– ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
– ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
– 1 medium rib celery, chopped
– A ½ cup of frozen organic mango
– 1 cup organic kale, ribs and stems removed
– Coconut Milk or Coconut Water to fill line
Green tea and vegetable smoothie ranging the goodies of vegetables again deficient in sugars and carbs rich in minerals, and Kiwi pineapple smoothie with a blend of fruits sparing low sugars and high glycemic index (GI) yet they are imminent.
Green Tea And Vegetable Smoothie
– 1 1/2 cups green grapes
– 1 cup baby spinach
– 1 cup frozen banana slices
– 1 cup green tea decaf
Kiwi Pineapple Smoothie
– 2 kiwi
– ½ cup pineapple chunks
– ½ cup cucumber, chopped
– A handful of kale
– 1 tbsp. lime juice
– Coconut milk to fill line
Cucumber smoothie for low in sugar and water balance shot, gingered apple smoothie exploiting the freshness of both decreasing the sugar, and pear and apple smoothie resisting the carbs and sugars.
– 1 cup of coconut water.
– 1/2 cup water.
– 1 Lebanese cucumber, roughly chopped.
– 2 cups of baby spinach leaves.
– 1 large handful of mint leaves, torn.
– 3/4 cups ice cubes.
Gingered Apple Smoothie
– 8 ounces of filtered water
– 1 clementine, peeled
– 1 kiwi, peeled
– 1 celery stalk, cut in half
– 1 green apple, core removed
– 2 handfuls kale leaves, stems removed and chopped
– 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled
– 1/2 cup mango (frozen or fresh)
– 1/2 cup ice
Pear and Apple Smoothie
– 1 apple
– 2 pears
– 1 ripe banana
– 1 cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk like soy, rice, or oat milk)
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/2 cup ice cubes
– 1/2 cup water
Let me know which one attracted to your taste buds the most and the one they did not like?
What Is A Low Glycemic Diet?
Glycemic index is a measure of how the intake of carbohydrates affects your blood glucose levels. It is further classified into low, high and moderate based on the presence of carbs in the diet. The low glycemic index foods are the efficient means of diet control in a diabetic diet.
The Glycemic index is directly proportional to the level of glucose in the blood. As it goes higher, the demand for the not at all producing insulin in your body gets higher which paves a drastic influence on diabetes.
Some of the low to moderate GI foods include,
- Garlic, onions, green paper, eggplant, broccoli, cabbage, tomato, mushroom, lettuce with the lowest glycemic index control.
- Barley, grapefruit, cherries, apricots, dark chocolate with cocoa, nuts like walnuts and cashew nut, lentils stand next to them with low GI.
- Barley bread has a slightly higher GI as it is processed food.
- Whereas barley, pears, apples, soya milk, natural yogurt, strawberries, oatmeal, beans, milk, oranges come with a moderate glycemic index.
As we go higher, the glycemic index is the maximum in the foods like corn flakes whole grain bread, popcorn, brown rice, mashed potatoes, white wheat bread, ice cream, bananas, grape, and kiwi.
Though the high GI food is included in the diabetic diet, their portions are outlined, as the grazing consumption of any food causes a severe impact on diabetes aggression.
Remember, the portion, the size of the meal is everything when you start treating yourself with all the lip-smacking and delicious foods you see.
Type 2 Diabetes Meal Plan
The suggestible diabetes-friendly foods in your diet, as per a meal is shown below.
The carbs should not exceed a portion of 20gms, and the proteins should be restricted to 10gms maintain a low Glycemic index with a little healthy fat in a dietary breakfast, as the complete fat deprivation sucks your health.
- Greek yogurt is the savior food, with nuts and berries; it serves a delicious yet healthy substitute.
- A whipped cottage cheese bowl, Eggs are a great source,
- Egg muffins with lean turkey bacon, oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, cottage cheese pancakes, protein pancakes, and pumpkin pancakes, puddings are the best no matter the myths,
- Chia seed pudding dumped with almonds, smoked salmon as the sea gives you the best than the red meat.
Be mindful about the portion size though.
Diabetic Lunch Ideas
- The proteins and the carbohydrates inclusive of the diet should not by any means exceed the 20gms portion, along with the lowest glycemic index regulation.
- All the foods you want can be exploited, but on being noted, salad with apples and chicken curry makes the carbs and antioxidants balance.
- Tuna and the green salad, including a fish in your diet never make you enhance your blood sugars, and it’s suggestible among all.
- Smoked salmon and spinach rolls, chicken and egg salad, are the big league foods apt for lunch.
Diabetic Snack Ideas
- Apples, carrots, grapes, sunflower seeds, avocados, dried apricots, turkey and cheese roll-ups, celery with peanut butter cause we can’t give up on it for anything.
- How to ignore brownies, saltine crackers, carrot cake without bake which peeks us from the kitchen.
- Hard-boiled eggs, tuna salads, mozzarella cheese bites, pepperoni, cucumbers can be included in the three snack intervals or more suggested by the dietitian.
Diabetic Dinner Ideas
- The traditional instant pot chicken, stuffed chicken breasts and marinated turkey breasts we have been relishing on need not be cut off for the sake of your glucose up levels.
- Spinach rolls, zucchini lasagna, pork chops and lemon chicken piccata are some of the beckoning items we don’t give up.
Foods to Avoid with Type 2 Diabetes
Why should we indeed skip out on some foods lest how tempting they are?
The carbs we take divides into sugars when broken down in the body adding to the blood sugar in the bloodstream, and the fibers don’t get digested so they won’t do the addition to the glucose or carbs. The involvement o high carbs in your diet uncontrollably damage the heart, nerves, and kidney creating serious complications.
- Sugary sweeteners, flavored foods, processed foods rich in carbs, trans fats containing foods, dried fruits, packed foods, deep-fried eatables marks their place in the avoidable diet.
- Energy bars rich in sugars,
- fried chicken and French fries rich in trans fats,
- fatty meats causing inflammation,
- dairy products like cheeses, cream, heavy cream, cream cheese, flavored yogurts causing bad cholesterol, increasing risks of cardiovascular disease are the out of the diet foods.
- Replace all the dried foods rich in sugars with the grapes, strawberries.
- Alcohol is strictly a transgression in a diabetic diet; staying away keeps you healthy.
- Keep the game safe by counting skinless chicken, lean meat and turkey, pork loins, and plenty of fish.
- Knock off the hamburgers, flavored waters, blended coffees, Chinese foods diving in a variety of oil baths, sugary confectioneries, and pizzas.
I think it is worth mentioning that you can eat tasty food as a fighter with diabetes. It is a myth if someone says that your taste buds will suffer. After all, it all comes to the discipline of when to eat ‘less healthy’ food and the size of your mouthful.
Again, any specific advice about the best diet for your individual circumstances can be sought through your Dietition. Saying so, we are more than happy to provide any general guidance.