Here we look into the best doTERRA Essential Oils For Diabetes And Nerve Pain. If you are considering doTERRA Essential Oils For Diabetes or Nerve Pain, this is a must-read for you.
doTERRA produces a wide range of high-quality essential oils, some as singles and some as blends of oils. Some of these essential oils are beneficial for conditions such as diabetes and nerve pain which are sometimes related conditions.
The use of essential oils, which are plant-based extracts, is not a new hack or trend.
When it comes to natural and alternative medicine, essential oils have been used since ancient times. History suggests using essential oils in healthcare, beauty care, personal care, and aromatherapy and naturopathy.
There is no strong scientific evidence to prove that essential oils can treat diabetes or nerve pain. However, there is some research that suggests that some essential oils can help to relieve nerve pain and some symptoms and complications of diabetes.
Well, before jumping into the deep, let’s find out what essential oils really are…
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are concentrated, fragrant liquid extracts obtained from leaves, seeds, flowers, roots, stems, barks or other parts of a plant.
The essence (scent and flavour) and benefits of essential oils vary depending on the aromatic compounds of the plant from which they are derived from.
Essential oils are obtained either through the process of steam or water distillation or cold pressing.
Other terms used in describing essential oil are ethereal oils, volatile oils, aetheroleum or simply the oil of the plant from which they were derived from. For example, neem oil.
Essential oils are hydrophobic in nature. This simply means that they do not mix with or dissolve in water. They repel water just like grease, oil and fat. Also, essential oils are volatile in nature as they easily evaporate under normal temperatures.
Some essential oils are more expensive than others because a large quantity of plant material is required to produce them.
Essential oils made from more oily plant material, such as citrus peels and avocado oils, are cheaper as they will require less material. In comparison, if the oil is made from materials such as rose flowers which are less oily, then that is costlier.
Essential oils, as found in plants and different herbs, may be used in different ways, such as by steaming, using a diffuser, spraying and even topical application. The uses include boosting well-being, refining skin, cleaning homes and even inspiring positive emotions.
Essential Oils And DōTERRA Oils – What Is The Difference?
DōTERRA is a multi-level marketing company built on the mission of producing therapeutic-grade essential oils. They offer a wide range of quality, cold-pressed, non-adulterated and certified essential oils.
With the help of respected medical professionals and world-renowned research partners, DōTERRA has emerged as a global integrative health and wellness company amongst essential oil-producing companies.
Some noticeable differences between dōTERRA oils and other essential oils are:
- dōTERRA has over 42 single oils and 19 blends, hence more variety compared with other companies’ essential oils. E.g. Health Logics oils
- When it comes to quality control, DōTERRA selects the best farms to source from. With contracted exclusive growers, they supply the highest quality essential oils.
- Each dōTERRA essential oil passes through rigorous Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) certification, unlike other essential oil products.
- dōTERRA essential oils are made with a medical advisory board’s ever-increasing knowledge and expertise. The board consists of globally acclaimed consultants in chemistry, microbiology, botany, physiology, and nutritional science. That is an exceptional knowledge base in leadership, unlike other essential oils.
- dōTERRA essential oils are pure, natural, aromatic compounds carefully extracted from plants. In comparison with most other essential oils, they do not contain fillers or artificial ingredients that would dilute their active qualities.
- dōTERRA essential oils work closely with growers to select plants of the correct species, grown in ideal environments and carefully harvested at the right time to ensure purity and preserved composition. Every oil sold by dōTERRA is responsibly and sustainably sourced.
- Many essential oils claim to be natural and pure and may guarantee safety and effectiveness, but only a few are subjected to rigorous testing standards for chemical composition, like dōTERRA essential oils do.
- Unlike other essential oils, dōTERRA shows customers how to use the oils safely and in detail, as seen in their product guides.
- dōTERRA tests their oils for adulteration and contamination. After a rigorous testing process, each oil is sent to an independent third party for further testing and validation.
- dōTERRA is committed to making a positive difference in the lives of farmers, harvesters, and distillers who contribute to doTERRA’s oil production and take care of them. In other words, their workers are well-paid.
Types Of dōTERRA Essential Oils
doTERRA has a large collection of essential oils, ranging from the most popular ones, such as lavender oil, tea tree oil and peppermint oil, to some exotic ones, such as Copaiba and Neroli oil.
These essential oils available in 5ml or 15ml bottles oil or in roll-on/sticks for easy application.
doTERRA essential oils are available as below types and combinations.
1. DōTERRA Essential Oil Singles
doTERRA Essential Oil Singles represent the finest aromatic extracts available that provide the living essence of its source, gently distilled from plants that are carefully grown and harvested.
doTERRA has over 70 single essential oils, which are classified into 8 different aromas.
The aromas are Citrus, Floral, Herbaceous, Camphoraceous (similar to camphor), Spicy, Resinous, Woody, and Earthy.
For example, some of the doTERRA single essential oils are Bergamot oil, Black Pepper oil, Blue Tansy oil, Cardamom oil, Cassia oil, Wintergreen oil, and Ylang Ylang oil come as essential oil singles.
2. DōTERRA Essential Oil Blends
They are essential oil blends customized to target specific wellness goals or needs.
doTERRA essential oil blends are available as below.
- Abōde Refreshing blend
- Adaptive calming blend
- Air-X air blend
- Align Centering blend
- Anchor Steadying blend,
- Arise Enlightening blend
- AromaTouch Massage blend
- Balance Grounding blend
- Breathe Respiratory Support blend
- Deep Blue blends (soothing blend)
- DigestZen Digestive blend
- ClaryCalm Monthly Blend For Women
- DDR Prime Cellular Complex
- Citrus Bliss Invigorating blend
- Citrus Bloom springtime blend
- HD Clear Topical blend
- Immortelle Anti-Aging blend
- InTune Focus blend
- Northern Escape Woodland blend
- On Guard Protective blend
- On Guard+ Beadlets
- PastTense Tension blend
- Purify Cleansing blend
- Serenity Restful blend – calming, relaxation-inducing blend
- Slim & Sassy Metabolic blend
- TerraShield Repellent blend
- Whisper Touch Blend for Women
- Zendocrine Detoxification blend
3. dōTERRA Touch Florals
They are essential oils with powerful benefits. They have a uniquely personal fragrance that encourages a positive atmosphere and mostly promotes healthy-looking skin.
Jasmine touch, Neroli touch, Rose touch, Magnolia touch and Helichrysum touch are all single-touch Florals.
Other types are packaged doTERRA products are below.
4. Family Essentials Kits
The Family Essentials Kit includes the following.
Ten 5ml bottles of essential oils and blends; Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Oregano, Frankincense, Deep Blue dōTERRA Breathe DigestZen and dōTERRA On Guard.
5. dōTERRA Emotional Aromatherapy Essential Oils
The content include;
dōTERRA Motivate Encouraging Blend, dōTERRA Cheer Uplifting Blend, dōTERRA Passion Inspiring Blend, dōTERRA Forgive Renewing Blend, dōTERRA Console Comforting Blend and dōTERRA Peace Reassuring Blend are dōTERRA Emotional Aromatherapy Oil Blends.
6. Yoga Collection
This collection includes;
dōTERRA Anchor Steadying Blend, dōTERRA Align Centering Blend and dōTERRA Arise Enlightening Blend.
7. Kids Collection
This collection includes;
Thinker Focus Blend, Calmer Restful Blend, Stronger Protective Blend, Rescuer Soothing Blend, Steady Grounding Blend, Brave Courage Blend and Tamer Digestive Blend.
These are Yarrow|Pom Cellular Beauty Complex, Yarrow|Pom Active Botanical Nutritive Duo and Yarrow|Pom Body Renewal Serum.
Which doTERRA Oils Are Good For Diabetes?
While some essential oils should be avoided if you have diabetes, generally speaking, most doTERRA essential oils that are good for diabetes. Those are the oils that can help to manage the cause and symptoms of diabetes and also reduce the complications of diabetes.
As mentioned earlier, doTERRA has a wide range of essential oils, and it has been revealed that a certain number of them are good for diabetics as they can help with the below.
- Manage blood glucose levels
- Improve insulin resistance
- Reduce oxidative stress and inflammation
- Promote healthy liver function
- Enhance the immune system
- Lower stress hormones
- Promote relaxation
The doTERRA essential oils good for diabetics are below.
1. Cinnamon Bark Oil (Cinnamon Zeylancium)
Cinnamon bark oil is one of the most antimicrobial essential oils with high anti-inflammatory antioxidants in it.
One of the major components of cinnamon essential oil is cinnamaldehyde. A review of studies has shown it to have blood glucose, triglyceride and cholesterol-lowering effects with the ability to help improve body weight and insulin sensitivity.
2. Coriander (Coriandrum Sativum)
Coriander has blood glucose-lowering effects in diabetics.
A study using a rat model revealed that the coriander glucose-lowering effect works in two ways – by increasing the secretion of insulin from the pancreas and promoting insulin-like activity at the cellular level.
Also, another study has demonstrated that coriander oil can decrease triglycerides, total cholesterol, and LDL cholesterol levels and, at the same time, increase HDL cholesterol to a significant level.
3. Grapefruit Oil (Citrus X paradise) And Helichrysum
One way to manage the symptoms of diabetes is by losing weight and reducing inflammation since obesity and inflammation are two of the main causes of diabetes.
Aside from exercise and a change in diet, essential oils may help in weight management. A 2015 study published in the Journal of Medicinal Foods revealed that using both grapefruit and helichrysum as supplements can help in weight loss, improve inflammatory markers, reduce oxidative stress and balance insulin.
Can You Use dōTERRA Essential Oils With Diabetes?
doTERRA essential oil may be used in aromatherapy, not to stabilize blood sugar levels, but to help with some of the side effects of diabetes.
Aromatherapy massage with specific doTERRA essential oils helps improve circulation, which is particularly important for people with diabetes who are prone to poor peripheral circulation. It actually regulates the rate of blood flow back to the heart.
Massage will also increase the oxygen-carrying capacity of the red blood corpuscles and boost immunity.
Essential oils help lower blood pressure and detoxify the lymphatic system more efficiently. For instance, the use of Black Pepper, Rosemary (not for high BP), Geranium and Juniper could be helpful here.
Most essential oils are stress relieving and calming oils’ if tension/stress levels are high! (It is thought that blood sugar levels can increase in diabetics when stress levels rise). Such oils include Bergamot, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Tea Tree and Ylang Ylang.
Some dōTERRA essential oils, such as Lavender, act as natural painkillers and anti-depressants to help stimulate your immune system, which can have a positive effect on blood glucose levels.
Other dōTERRA essential oils can help to support weight loss and exercise programs. Such include-Grapefruit, Cinnamon, Lime and Peppermint oil, which are thought to reduce hunger and cravings and stimulate the breakdown of fat.
Some essential oils can help with headache, vertigo and dizziness and ease post-workout aches and pains, such as pains from corn and bunions; such include Black Pepper, Lavender, Rosemary and Marjoram.
Essential oils can be helpful in managing complications of diabetes, i.e. ulcers, and skin integrity loss, and to reduce infections that often take longer to heal compared to people with no diabetes. Lavender, Lemon essential and Frankincense oils are particularly useful here.
Benefits Of doTERRA Essential Oils To People With Diabetes
Although no scientific evidence currently indicates that essential oils can cure diabetes, there is growing research indicating they may help to manage symptoms and reduce difficulties caused by the disease.
DōTERRA essential oils have been shown to be helpful to people with diabetes in the following ways.
1. Tend to balance blood sugar, improve insulin resistance, support healthy liver function, boost the immune system, and increase inner calm.
2. They are said to reduce the side effects associated with diabetes.
3. May have a positive effect on the body and mind to enhance the overall quality of life.
4. May help combat infection and soothe stress.
5. Reduce inflammation and oxidative stress.
They have antioxidant properties which help prevent damage to cells caused by free radicals. This damage might lead to other serious diseases, such as cancer.
6. May help in treating colds and coughs.
7. Help in managing stress, anxiety and tension by decreasing stress hormones.
8. Relieve pain in the joints.
9. Aid someone falls asleep effectively
doTERRA Lavender essential oils are popular among older adults living with dementia.
10. Lower blood pressure.
11. Aid in digestion.
12. Combat respiratory problems.
13. Increase concentration and mindfulness
14. Lead to an Increase in antimicrobial qualities
Commonly noticeable with the use of tea tree doTTERA essential oil.
Although some research suggests the health benefits of essential oils, their purity and quality are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or other regulatory bodies. Therefore, you need to ensure that the brand of essential oils you are using is from a reputable manufacturer known for producing pure and high-quality essential oils.
Before buying essential oil, follow the below tips.
- Read the label to ensure that there are no added ingredients that you may be allergic to.
- Do not apply undiluted essential oils topically, as they may cause irritation and inflammation of the skin.
- Before using a diluted essential oil on your whole skin, you need to determine how your skin will react to an essential oil. You can do this by doing a patch test on a small area of your skin, preferably your inner arm.
Apply the diluted essential oil and leave for 24 hours. Check for rash, itching or redness. If any, wash the area with soap and water and discontinue use.
- Do not ingest essential oils or apply them internally, such as in your mouth, vagina, nose or other mucus membranes, without the proper guidance of a trained professional.
- To avoid creating stress on your body, when diffusing essential oil, do not exceed 30 to 60 minutes intervals.
- Always dilute your essential oils before diffusion.
- Only diffuse essential oils in a well-ventilated area to reduce the risk of irritating your respiratory tract.
- Essential oils are highly flammable, so keep them away from all kinds of flames – candles, stoves, lanterns, cigarettes etc.
- When handling/using essential oil, avoid contact with eyes and ears as this can have an adverse effect. So wash your hands immediately after using essential oils.
- Keep essential oils away from kids and pets.
- If you are pregnant, consult your doctor or midwife before using essential oil.
- Never apply photosensitizing essential oils such as citrus essential oils before any form of UV exposure – tanning booth, sunbathing etc.
Photosensitizing oils increase photosensitivity, and applying them before UV exposure can cause serious skin burns.
When Shouldn’t You Use doTERRA Essential Oils As A Diabetic?
You should not use doTERRA essential oil as a diabetic in the following circumstances.
- If you notice that the symptoms of your disease worsen, increase or if you develop any new complications or problems.
- At the same time, with your prescribed medications, since some essential oils can interfere with your medications.
- Unless it is recommended by a doctor.
- Directly on your skin without diluting the essential oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil etc., as applying essential oil typically might cause skin irritation.
It is important to note that there isn’t any robust scientific evidence to support the use of essential oils as a treatment for diabetes. However, they may be used to reduce some effects of the condition and treat complications, including gastrointestinal issues, and to improve heart health, oral health, respiratory health, skin health, immune health and weight gain.
Essential oils should be used with caution and in conjunction with your doctor’s recommended treatment.
It’s generally considered safe for people with diabetes to administer doTERRA essential oils topically or diffuse them into the air, because it isn’t clear how ingesting such oils may affect your blood sugar levels.
However, only a few researchers claim that the mix of some essential oils lowered glucose levels and systolic blood pressure.