In this article, I will be reviewing the best warming backrest massagers. I will also guide you through the best massages with each of their strengths and weaknesses to help you to identify the best one for your personal needs.
Let’s start rolling…
Most of us spend a considerable part of the days seated in front of our computers or TV and then straight jump into the car when going out. This lifestyle is not healthy. According to Acupuncture and Massage College, as it can put a lot of stress on our back and neck muscles, which suddenly contract, or spasm and result in knotty hard muscle, stiffness, discomfort and back pain.
Top of that the most of us are too busy, we can’t take time off to see a massage therapist to receive a good massage and pamper those tired muscles so that our body can be more relaxed, sleep better and relieve any sore and aching back muscles.
Those are exactly very good reasons why you should get your own personal back massager that you can use anywhere, anytime.
Thanks to recent technological advancement, we now have different shapes, sizes of massagers that we can use at our places of work, home and those that are portable that we can always take along attached to even a car seat.
Having one of those massages will not only save you time but also save you money in the long run and yet still give you a spa-like massage.
Before digging further into the Best Warming Backrest Massagers, it is important to define what is a backrest massager.
What are Backrest Massagers?
Just like there are different types of massagers for the back, neck and shoulders available in the market, there is also a type of massagers called ‘backrest massagers’.
The most important thing about all of them is that they meant to stimulate circulation, relax stiff muscles, relieve back spasms and boost your energy.
Backrest massagers usually come as a chair pad and husband pillow. Depending on the brand, they come with different levels of massage intensities ranging from light touch to intensive massage to relieve pain and boost your energy. Some of them feature a rotating device that moves up and down along the contour of your back to give you a hand like a shiatsu massage. They also feature different massage techniques.
The husband pillows are mostly used on the floor and on the beds while the chair pad backrest massagers can be used by placing them on any chair at home, cars or place of work.
Most of them also feature programs designed for lower, upper and the whole back dedicated massage.
Massagers are not meant for treating ailments, consult your doctor before using any massager and always read the instruction manual of the massager before using. Their role is to support the treatment, when massaging is ‘indicated’ based on your doctor’s opinion.
Tip: You could use some backrest massagers on a wheelchair too. For stability, consider a quality wheelchair cushion and lateral support.
Now, let’s turn on to the review of 7 best backrest massagers in the USA.
Review of the 7 Best Backrest Massagers
1. Sharper Image Warming Backrest Massager Review
This Warming Backrest Massager is perfect for relaxing and watching TV in bed or on the floor, or even when you are reading.
The husband pillow is what you need after a long and stressful day. It features a vibrating massage with 2 intensity levels – high and low plus an optional gentle heat to calm and relax your body.
With an easy to use the control, this massager features a flexible goose neck LED reading lamp and large pockets at the sides to keep your books, magazines, TV remote and smartphone.
It can be folded for easy storage and carriage, and comes with a 1-year limited warranty, if you would need a replacement during the period.
- Optional gentle heat
- Vibration massage alternates between continuous and pulsing massage.
- Flexible goose neck LED lamp for reading or craft.
- Large pockets at the sides for books, magazines, TV remote control, etc.
- Integrated cup holder for coffee, water or any other drink.
- The outside of this massager is covered with 100% polyester.
- An integrated handle for easy carriage under the back of the cushion
- The arms are padded with Velcro attachment.
- Easy to set-up or dismantle for storage.
- Easy to use control
- The reading lamp can be adjusted to any angle.
- The backrest is straight and not inclined to an angle for proper relaxation.
|Dimensions||39 × 21 × 16.5 inches|
2. ObusForMe Deep Kneading Shiatsu Massage Cushion With Heat Review
This massager is designed to provide a relaxing full massage experience. It uses a massage mechanism that moves up and down the back.
With 3 massage mode – deep kneading, shiatsu, and heat therapy programmed to target 3 areas of your back – the upper back, the lower back and the whole back.
It comes in all black Color.
- Massager features 4 shiatsu nodes that move up and down the back to give a full back massage.
- Soothing heat boost your massage experience and makes it more relaxing.
- The massage is programmed to target 3 areas of the back – lower back, upper back and the whole Back
- Easy to use corded hand remote control that allows you to customize your massage
- 15 minutes auto shut off timer
- The integrated strapping system fits most chairs and is easy to install.
- Easy to use a remote control
- Fits most chairs.
- A good quality and well-constructed cushion.
- Massage can be isolated to the upper, lower back or full back massage
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Some say the massage nodes do not go up high enough to reach the shoulder and neck of a taller person
- Some people also find it is noisy
|Dimension||11 x 18 x 22 inches|
3. Global Relax Mantra Massage Back Support Review
This is a new generation massager that provides a relaxing infrared heat massage using a heating system by thermal blue ray technology.
It boasts a 2D-SHIATSU massage system using the pressure applied by its 3 pairs of massage heads. This massager features 3 massage techniques options.
- Hand massage
- Vibrating massage on the seat, and
- Thermal massage (a heating system).
Heating functionality helps to
- increase blood circulation and metabolism
- relieve pain
- build up the immune system, and
- relaxes the waist, abdomen and back muscles.
It comes with 3 intensity levels and an option of 15 minutes automatic switch-off timer. It can be used anywhere: it fits any type of chair at home, office or car seat.
The easy to use remote control comes handy with a 2-years limited warranty for the whole system.
- Offers 2 modes of massage
- a. Kneading and stretching
- b. Vibration
- Infrared heat
- 2D Shiatsu massage on the back with 3 application modes:
– upper area
– lower area
- Vibrating massage with 4 modes (mode1, mode 2, mode 3 and Stop) and 3 levels of intensity (strong, medium and soft)
- 15 minutes automatic switch-off timer.
- The shiatsu massage system has a sleep mode, that allows you to use the massager as a normal back support when switched off.
- The unit can be fixed to any type of chair or armchair.
- Use 2 types of connection: you can plug it to a power outlet or the cigarette lighter in your car.
- Comes with an instruction manual in the English language
- It is versatile and can be on most chairs
- It is portable
The cost of Global Relax Mantra is a little higher than most other backrest massagers.
|Dimension||26.4 x 18.5 x 5.5 inches|
|Manufacturer||Global Relax – U.S.|
4. Osim uJolly Back Massager Review
Enjoy a calm and relaxing deep tissue back massage at the comfort of your home or office anytime using this massage chair pad which gives you the feeling of real hand-like massage delivered by a professional massage therapist.
This 3D back massager uses the Lumber press and the patented V-Grip technology designed to work along the body contours to provide you with a specified and human-like massage on the shoulder and lower back area.
It uses kneading, rolling, tapping massage technique with heat therapy. Designed to be placed on sofas or chairs, it comes in two colours – red and gray. It uses two popular massage techniques called “Rolling and Tapping” and “Press Gripping”.
The system comes with 4 automatic massage programmes.
-Neck & Shoulders:
It is designed specially to provide targeted hand grip massage to the neck and shoulder to help relieve aches, loosen tensed and muscles knots around your neck and shoulders region.
This program eases lower back pain, tired and stressed back.
–Relax & Spa:
It uses a combination of gentle kneading, tapping and rolling massage technique plus heat therapy to stimulate and relax the muscles.
Boost blood circulation on the back, enhance mobility and reduce build-ups of toxin in the tissue, which causes tension. The Invigorating massage energizes the body and mind.
The heat therapy helps to loosen stiff muscles and joints so that you can enjoy deep relaxation.
- V-Grip Technology
This technology allows the massager to follow the contours of the shoulders closely to give the most targeted Press-Grip massage.
· Heat Therapy
Full back soothing heat that helps to boost circulation, improves the flexibility of the muscles, hasten the healing and recovery of damaged tissues, reduce inflammations and provide full relaxation.
- Overheat protection thermostats to ensure safety while using the massager.
- 15 minutes automatically fixed timer that cannot be changed is a great safety feature.
- Width is adjustable too.
· Adjustable shoulder position
· Different interchangeable massage techniques, include:
– Rolling & Tapping
· Adjustable intensity
· Easy to use remote control.
· Ergonomically designed to provide utmost comfort and relaxation
· The headrest pillow is detachable to give neck and shoulders more support.
· Portable and lightweight
· It can be placed on the chair, sofa, car seat and your bed.
· It consumes about 70W.
· This Osim massager comes with a warranty lasting for 12 months.
- Easy to operate.
- Portable and easy to carry around.
- Versatile, you can place it on the bed in your bedroom, a sofa in your sitting room or on the chair in your office.
- The width can be adjusted.
- It does not give a vibrating massage.
|Dimension||18.11 x14.09 x 31.3 inches|
5. Carepeutic Bed Lounger with Heated Comfort Massager Review
Relax and enjoy a full back massage while reading or watching TV on your bed with this vibration massage bed lounger that has an optional heat therapy that helps to boost blood circulation.
Made of soft-touch material, this Vibration massage has two intensity levels and automatically shut off after 15 minutes of use.
It comes with an inbuilt cup bolder, a carrying handle and a bendable LED reading light. And, it is designed with a large side pocket for remote, phone magazines and books too.
The arms a detachable and are connected with zippers. It is easy to set up or dismantle for storage or transportation, and it comes with a deluxe carrying bag and an AC adapter.
- It is a vibration massage with two levels of intensities.
- Provides heat therapy to boost circulation.
- Bright bendable LED reading light for different reading positions
- Large pocket by the side for storing your remote, phone, magazines and books, iPhone
- Inbuilt cup holder for your drinks
- Portable, it has a carrying handle and carrying bag for easy transportation.
- Detachable arms that can be attached with the inbuilt zippers
- The dimension is 29x21x8.5 when setting up and 16x14x3 when dismantled.
- Easy to set up or dismantle.
- Inbuilt bright light for reading and making crafts.
- It is portable.
- It doesn’t have a kneading and rolling option.
|Dimension||29 x 21 x 8 inches|
6. HoMEDICS Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion with Heat Review
The HoMedics Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion uses three massage techniques –
- deep kneading shiatsu and
- gentle rolling massage.
The percussion massage gives a strong and invigorating massage while the deep kneading shiatsu massage is for deep muscle massage. The third the rolling massage gives soothing massage to help relieve painful and sore muscles, to ease tension and stress after a long day.
It features a soothing heat which helps to boost blood circulation, quickens the healing and recovery from muscle pain and relaxes the body.
It is programmed to target 3 zones of the back –
- the upper back,
- the lower back and
- the entire back.
The spot massage feature helps you to concentrate the massage at a specific spot on your back. It comes with a 2-years limited warranty.
- The trail of the massage is extra-long covers the whole back, starting from the neck/shoulders to lower lumbar.
- Deep kneading Shiatsu massage to loosen tight back muscles and help you to relax.
- Gentle rolling massage use 4 node settings to give you a spot massage.
- The massager targets 3 areas of your back – upper back and shoulders, lower back, or the whole back
- Spot massage allows you to zero in on a particular spot.
- The seat vibration stimulates the muscles in the lower lumbar area.
- The heat soothes and calms tired and over-worked muscles.
- Easy to use programmed remote control is very handy.
- The inbuilt strapping system can accommodate most chairs.
- The massager can be customized to any speed, temperature and to target a specific area of the back.
- This HoMEDICS cushion is portable and easy to use.
- It doesn’t fit on all chairs. Due to its design, it works better on chairs that a firm than on chairs with soft materials.
7. HoMEDICS Serenity Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Sound & Meditation Review
It is designed to calm and relax the mind and at the same time giving you a therapeutic massage.
You can connect the Bluetooth feature on the cushion to the HoMedics Massage App on your smartphone. This is a unique app with features such as a relaxing and calm music pre-programmed massages, customization tools and guided meditations you can choose from to give you the best massage experience.
HoMedics Serenity Shiatsu Massager comes with 5 massage technique to choose from and a soothing heat on the neck, back and seat.
The neck and shoulder can be reverse to any direction, and it can also be adjusted to your height.
It also comes with a pre-programmed remote control and an inbuilt strapping system that fits most chairs.
HoMedics Serenity Shiatsu Cushion comes with 2-years limited warranty.
- 5 massage techniques
Shiatsu, tapping, rolling, shiatsu and tapping, and seat vibration to relieve pain and sore muscles.
- Invigorates your body and mind
Using the meditation and soothing music features of the App to boost your massage experience
- Bluetooth for connecting the massage cushion to the App.
- Two ways control
You can control the massager using the remote or the App on your smartphone.
- The remote is attached to the cushion using a cord.
- Soothing Heat therapy to enhance your massage experience.
- Removable flab that helps to control the intensity of the massage.
- The neck and shoulder can be adjusted to your height and can be turned to a reverse direction.
- Relief neck and shoulder pain using a mechanism that moves on the neck and shoulder.
- An option to choose a spot massage or any of the 3 massage zones – the upper back, lower back or the entire back.
- Inbuilt storage compartment to store the cord.
- 15 minutes auto shut off timer.
- The removable flab helps to reduce the intensity of the massage or heat level.
- It is portable and easy to set up.
- It may not work well for people that are too short or too tall because of the height of the cushion, although it is adjustable but not very much.
|Dimension||34 x 10 x 20 inches|
Comparison of the 7 Best Backrest Massagers
|SharperImage backrest massager||Obusforme Deep Kneading Shiatsu Massage Cushion||Global Relax Mantra massage back support||OSIM uJolly Back Massager||Carepeutic Bed Lounger with Heated Comfort Massager||HoMEDICS Quad Shiatsu Pro Massage Cushion with Heat||HoMEDICS Serenity Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Sound & Meditation|
|Massage areas||Back||Back||Back, gluteus||Back, neck, shoulder, lumber||Back||Back, neck, shoulder||Back, neck, gluteus|
|Types of massage||Vibration, heat therapy||deep kneading, shiatsu, and heat therapy||Vibration, infrared heat, kneading||kneading, rolling, tapping, heat therapy||Vibration, heat therapy||percussion, deep kneading shiatsu, gentle rolling, vibration, heat therapy.||shiatsu, tapping, rolling, vibration, heat therapy|
|Massage modes/ levels of intensities||2 intensity levels – high and low||3 massage mode and 3 intensity levels||
3 levels of intensities
|4 modes||2 intensity levels||3 massage zones||3 massage zones|
|Auto shut off timer (in minutes)||–||15||15||15||15||15||15|
|Dimension||39 × 21 × 16.5 inches||11 x 18 x 22 inches||26.4 x 18.5 x 5.5 inches||18.11 x14.09 x 31.3 inches||29 x 21 x 8 inches||17.7 × 29.3 × 7.6 inches||34 x 10 x 20 inches|
|Weight||5 pounds||8.59 pounds||8.82 pounds||8.6 kg||10 pounds||11.7 pounds||22 pounds|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year||2years||1 year||–||2 years||2 years|
Enjoy a relaxing heat, vibration and shiatsu massage at the comfort of your home, in the car or at work with a Backrest massager. Although backrest massagers cannot be a replacement for a good hand massage by a massage therapist, there is no doubt about how effective and useful back massagers are in relieving back, neck and shoulder ache, stiffness and pain.
Ergonomically designed, lightweight and portable they are also shaped to fit your body. They help you to relieve stress, relax your body, boost circulation, sleep better, boost immunity and promote good posture.