Aside from changing diet, people with diabetes need to take good care of their bodies by making broader lifestyle changes that would enable them to maintain and be in an optimal state of health. Those lifestyle changes include the change in their choice of clothing, which involves adding diabetes-friendly socks’ as part of their wardrobe. It is vital for diabetic patients because they need to take proper care of their foot as an important part of diabetes management, it helps to protect the foot, prevent injuries, infection and other forms of complications.
But the question is, is it any socks’? And the answer is No. Are there some socks’ that better than others for taking care of diabetic foot? Yes. One of the best socks’ for diabetics is Bamboo socks’. It offers multiple benefits to diabetic patients and it has all the qualities of a good diabetic sock according to the media. But, is that the case of all diabetes patients? Indeed, Are Bamboo Socks Good for diabetics? If so, What are the best bamboo socks’ for diabetics?
We will be finding that all in this article.
Before that, let’s explore a bit about bamboo and what we mean by bamboo socks’.
What is Bamboo?
Bamboos are tall perennial, evergreen grasses.
With green hard, woody, hollow, fibrous stem, from the subfamily Bambusoideae and tall treelike grass family Poaceae which grows tall and straight up, their leaves grows from the top of the stem/ stalk. It is one of the fastest-growing plants on earth with the growth rate of over 12 inches per day.
There are up to 1400 different varieties of bamboos. They grow as tall as 10 -15 cm (4-6 inches) for the shortest species and more than 40 meters (130 foot) for the tallest species.
They thrive almost on every type of soil, which makes them good for afforestation. They grow mostly in the tropical and temperate regions. It does not require any pesticides, fertilizer or irrigation to grow. Bamboos are runners and grow from rhizomes, their method of reproduction is mostly vegetative.
Once you cut them from base another bamboo stalk regrows from a new shoot. It takes12 – 130 years for most bamboos to flower and produce seed, and once they produce seeds, they begin to decline and die off.
They are used for many purposes. All the parts of the plant are generally useful.
- Bamboo shoots
The young shoot of some of the species is cooked as vegetables especially in some Chinese
cuisine, Asian dishes and broths.
- Bamboo seeds
Seeds of some of the species are used as a grain.
- Bamboo leaves
The leaves are used as fodder for livestock.
- Bamboo fiber
Quality fine papers and clothing can be made from the pulp fibers of most of the species of bamboo.
- Bamboo stems
The stems can be used for building houses and rafters, scaffolding on building and construction sites, flooring, making furniture, chopsticks, pipes and traditionally used as fuel for cooking.
Now, let’s turn into bamboo clothing and how that’s produced.
Bamboo clothing refers to the different types of garments, apparels or items of clothing made from textile or fabrics or yarn made from the bamboo pulp or fiber.
Bamboo yarn and fabrics can be blended with other types of textile fibres like spandex or hemp. It cellulose can be dissolved and process into viscose rayon.
Bamboo clothes are usually very soft, comfortable, silky to touch and of high quality. They have anti-microbial properties, they are hypoallergenic, breathable, UV protection, can inhibit odour, wick moisture and are biodegradable.
Bamboo Clothes for Diabetics?
One essential item of clothing a diabetic need is a good pair of diabetic sock. This will help to protect the foot from bruises and infections and also reduce the risk of amputation.
There are a lot of diabetic socks’, made of different fabrics, and each of these fabrics has different properties that make them unique as diabetic socks’. Still, bamboo socks’ for diabetics are outstanding.
Socks made of bamboo fabrics have all the qualities of good diabetic socks’. They are
- Very smooth,
- lightweight yet durable,
- stretchable yet very comfortable,
- good at absorbing and wicking away moisture,
- a deodorizer,
- can prevent UV radiation and
- has a thermal regulating ability.
Bamboo clothes and socks’ make you feel good, more comfortable plus you don’t have to worry about excessive sweating, sunburn, body odor and dermal allergies when wearing clothes made of bamboo fabric.
Effects of Bamboo Material on Diabetes
Bamboo materials have a lot of properties that are of great benefits to diabetics.
It has heat-regulating properties which makes them ideal and helpful for diabetic patients since most of them as a result of circulatory problems find it difficult to manage extreme temperature changes. Bamboo materials can help to keep them cool in summer and warm in winter.
Bamboo materials used in most modern clothes are gentle and extremely soft. This is essential for diabetic patients who often have sensitive skin, it ensures that their skin is not irritated and also reduce the risk of any fungus or bacterial type infections which can result in more complication.
Bamboo naturally has antimicrobial bio-agent bamboo kun, which is found naturally in the fibre. This agent repels fight germs, fungus and other microbes that can affect the skin, especially the cause of diabetic patients who are at high risk of foot infection. It can help to combat athlete’s foot and other foot conditions.
Bamboo fabric also provides excellent UV protection which can help to protect the skin from sunburn, a problem common among the diabetic, especially those living in areas with warmer climates.
Bamboo materials are naturally porous, and they are deodorizers, so they conceal odours and they are stretchable but not uncomfortable so diabetic patients suffering from edema. Poor blood circulation can enjoy socks’ made with this material.
Bamboo materials are non-allergenic, this is one of their
unique properties and any diabetic patients suffering from skin irritations, dermal allergies, and dermatitis can comfortably enjoy this material.
Bamboo and Non-Bamboo Socks – Effects on Diabetics
The most common fabrics used for diabetic socks’ are polyester, cotton, wool and recently, bamboo. The benefits of each of these materials differ.
The following are the benefits of the non-bamboo fabric socks’ and bamboo fabric socks’.
Polyester is a synthetic fabric, they are strong and durable, they can quickly dry away moisture but they are not good at absorbing moisture. They are not breathable, so they can make your foot to sweat and overheat which is a problem, especially if you are diabetic.
Cotton socks’ are soft, comfortable, they are breathable, so your foot will not sweat a lot. They can wick away moisture and are good for diabetic patients with sensitive skin, but they do not have antimicrobial properties.
Wool socks’ are soft with adequate moisture absorbing property, and it is also an insulator which makes it very much suitable for the winter season because it will ensure that your foot stay warm. However, wearing them during the warmer seasons is a big no-no! That is because your foot will get way too hot and sweaty.
Bamboo socks’ are the softest, sock you can buy. They are stretchy, smoother than cotton, and feels more like the silk of high quality or cashmere and very comfortable.
Due to the porous nature of bamboo materials, these socks’ have incredible moisture absorbing and wicking ability, so they can keep the foot dry even when you sweat excessively.
Aside from having all the benefits of the other non-bamboo fabric socks’ have, Bamboo socks’ are hypoallergenic and antimicrobial, which helps to keep the foot free of bacteria, fungi and odor.
Bamboo socks’ are more breathable than most socks’ made of other fabrics, they have great thermocontrol, so they can keep the foot warm during cooler seasons and cool during the warmer seasons.
Now let’s turn in to the best bamboo socks’ for people with diabetes.
7 Best Bamboo Socks for Diabetics
The following are some of
the best bamboo diabetic socks’ available in the market.
1. Teehee Bamboo Viscose Diabetic Socks
This diabetic and circulatory socks’ made with a blend of spandex, polyester, and most importantly viscose from bamboo.
These medium-length socks’ are very soft, smooth, and comfortable. It comes in different colours and design. It is breathable with a non-binding top that stays up and doesn’t slide down, and it is a snug fit and good for circulation.
These socks’ are designed to address symptoms related to diabetes, dry foot, leg fatigue and edema.
- Half cushioned at the bottom for heel protection.
- A non-binding top is breathable.
- Sock material is a blend of 80% viscose from bamboo, 17% of polyester and 3% of spandex.
- Comes in different colours — navy, tan, grey, light green, black, white, bitter grey and a few more.
- Available in sizes — medium size 9-11 for shoe sizes 6-9 and large size 10-12 for shoe size 7-10.
- Good for blood circulation and helps with swollen calves.
- You have different colours to choose from.
- The size range is not very wide, so it may be tight for some people.
- May slide down after wearing it for a long time
2. Bamboo Diabetic Ankle Socks for Men By Yomandamor
Made and Knitted with fibers of the highest quality – a blend of bamboo and elastane material Yomandamor socks’ are very comfortable, very soft, breathable, good at absorbing and wicking away moisture and help to ease the pain as a result of leg blisters, fatigue, edema, inflammation and dry skin.
It is a perfect sock and solution for diabetic patients made for delicate and sensitive foot and is recommended for circulatory problems and varicose vein.
- Seamless, which helps to reduce the risk of infection caused by irritation, blistering and pressure to the foot.
- Breathable, can absorb and wick away moisture from the foot. This helps to keep the foot dry and reduce the risk of fungal and bacterial infection.
- Non-binding top, good for circulation.
- Suitable for those who demand more comfort, especially diabetic patients and the elderly.
- Comes as sock size 10-13 to Fits men with shoe size: 7-12
- Made with a fabric with a blend of 70% Bamboo and 30% Elastane
- It is lightweight and soft
- Stretchy and comfortable not tight and binding
- The socks’ material is too thin.
3. Yomandamor Women’s Bamboo Diabetic Crew Socks
A perfect solution for those with delicate and sensitive foot and those who need comfort. Made of natural fabric, bamboo material.
These women’s socks’ are very soft, breathable, keep the foot dry and feeling fresh without odor and is comfortable. These socks’ are ideal and recommended for the elderly, diabetics, patient with circulatory disorders, neuropathy and varicose veins.
- Smooth, seamless toe to minimize the risk of irritation and blistering
- Micromesh and breathing hole: to absorb and wick away the moisture from the foot, keep the foot dry and reduce the risk of fungal infections.
- Non-binding top to reduce the risk of infection caused by foot pressure and blistering caused by elastic. It also allows for better circulations at the legs.
- The socks’ have extra padding, helpful for patients who are at risk of developing ulcers.
- The socks’ material is a blend of 70% bamboo and 30% elastane.
- Available in sock size 9-11 for women with shoe size 5.5-10.
- Comes in a pack of 6 pairs in either black or white.
- Soft and not bulky
- Good temperature regulation, so your foot do not get overheated during the summer or cool during the winter
- Not available in many colour options.
4. Hugh Ugoli Women’s Bamboo Diabetic Crew Socks
An excellent choice for diabetics, pregnant women, elderly people, those with circulatory problems, neuropathy and edema. These soft and silky socks’ come in 4 pairs per pack and available in different colours. The socks’ fabric is made of a blend of Bamboo Polyamide and Elastane.
This sock is comfortable with a non-binding top, it is stretchy with a hand-linked seam.
- It is stretchy with a wide calf to accommodate swollen foot, calves and ankle.
- Hand-linked seam.
- The socks’ material is 80% Bamboo 17% Polyamide 3% Elastane.
- Comes with micromesh and breathing hole to wick away moisture, keep the foot dry and prevent odor and growth of fungi and bacteria.
- Non-binding top to reduce the risk of infection as a result of foot pressure and blistering.
- Wide calf to accommodate swollen calves.
- Cushioning at the toe and heel for additional comfort.
- Available in different colours, ranging from light to dark.
- Available for shoe sizes 6-9 and 9-12.
- Offers a 100% money-back guarantee, if you are happened to be not satisfied with the Hugh Ugoli products.
- The 4 pair of socks’ in a pack are of the same and not varied colours.
5. Ecosox Bamboo Diabetic Non-Binding Crew Socks
EcoSox Diabetic socks’ a perfect solution for diabetics who suffer from neuropathy and edema. EcoSox is very soft and comfortable.
The socks’ material is made with a blend of bamboo viscose, nylon and spandex. It is breathable and easily wicks away moisture to keep the foot dry and odorless.
- Non-binding top and an Integrated smooth seam at the toes to prevent irritation and blisters.
- Soft padding at the heel and toes for extra comfort.
- Arch support to fight foot fatigue and for a proper fit to prevent the socks’ crimping together and causing friction in your shoes.
- The sock material is a blend of 85% viscose from Bamboo, 11% Nylon and 4% Spandex.
- The sock is breathable with excellent moisture absorbing and wicking ability and themo-regulation. It keep the foot dry, relaxed and odorless.
- Available in Medium socks’ size 9-11 for Women Shoe Sizes 5 -10.5, and Men Shoe Sizes 3-9.
- Available in 5 different colours.
- Sizes of Ecosox socks’ are available for both men and for women.
- Comes in different colors.
- The 3 pairs in a pack are of the same color.
- The top of the sock may wear out fast when mainly used in hot conditions.
6. OrthoSleeve WC4 Wellness Socks for Diabetes, Edema, Neuropathy & Circulation
This Nano-Bamboo Charcoal socks’ feature a light to moderate compression that helps to boost good circulation, to provide relief and improve the overall foot health.
It is designed for diabetics, those who have circulatory problems, sensitive skin, neuropathy and edema. It features a seamless toe with a non-binding top and arch support.
This wellness socks’ are ergonomically designed with 4 zones of medical compression and shaped to fit snugly but not tight so as to accommodate swollen foot. It is very soft and durable.
Available in two colours black and white, and in two styles — Crew and No-Show Style.
It also comes in 5 different sizes — Small, Medium, Large, X-Large and XX-Large.
- Made using nano-bamboo charcoal to provide a soft, light and durable sock.
- Seamless and non-binding design for comfort.
- The arch support structure for more stability needed to keep moving.
- Designed and shaped-to-fit the left and right foot perfectly.
- Midfoot/Arch Support Structure.
- Left/Right Design for the perfect fit.
- Contoured cushioning at the toe and heel.
- The light gradient compression to provide the support your foot need and promote healthier foot.
- It is also infused with silver ions to help keep the foot dry, feeling fresh, odorless and prevents infection.
- Offers 100% money-back guarantee and 12 months warranty.
- Available for both small foot size and large foot size.
- It is not bulky.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee and 12 months warranty.
- Doesn’t have many colour options.
- It is pricey.
7. +MD 4 Pack Men’s Extra Wide Non-Binding Diabetic and Circulatory Bamboo Socks
These awesome socks’ provide the ultimate comfort. Made with a blend of fabrics are soft but durable and contains anti-shrinking properties which help it to retain its size, shape and elasticity even after many washes.
They are non-binding but snug fit with a seamless ties design. These socks’ are ideal for people with sensitive foot, the diabetics and pregnant women with gestation diabetes.
Available in two colors – black and white and in two sizes – sock size 10-13 to fits men’s shoe size 8-12 and 13-15 to fit men’s shoe size 11-14.
- Sock material is a blend of 87% Bamboo, 10% Nylon, 2% Spandex and 1% Polyester.
- Non-binding top that is snug fit, comfortable, do not slip down and does not restrict circulation in your foot but allowing blood circulation to occur more easily.
- The extra-wide cuff that does not leave marks on your leg is useful.
- Padded sole to help wick more moisture, protect the foot from injury and provide more comfort.
- A smooth no irritation seam toe to protect the foot from injuries caused by blisters, abrasion and ulcers.
- Can retain its shape, size and color for a long time.
- Are not available in different colors.
- The materials are too thin and not wide enough to accommodate bigger foot size.
Socks are made from different types or blends of fabrics, but most of those fabrics don’t offer the same value as bamboo fabric, and that is why recently bamboo socks’ have become more popular.
Bamboo socks’ not only improve blood circulation, but also keep your foot fresh. They also can protect your foot from bacteria and prevent foot from moisture buildup.
Bamboo socks’ are great, it gives you all the value you can possibly get from socks’ made from other fabrics and more. It offers you the best value for money spent, especially if you are challenged by diabetes.